Hurricane Ian

BuffJim

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

It was confusing to me because the national weather site and Accuweather were posting pictures with no name ID's, but numbers beginning with 9 (corresponds to "I") but the captions underneath said "Hermine."

On Tuesday, they're showing the storm going over western Cuba and say the winds are 125 mph.  Hopefully, the winds will drop off as forecast when the eye is over Florida and Georgia.  I live at roughly the upper right corner of the white square around D.C.  On CNN right now (9 am Tues.) they're calling for the winds to be down to 30 mph by the time it gets to North Carolina.  Sometimes we get major winds from hurricanes but usually it's rain and flooding that is the problem, including when the storm comes up the Chesapeake and drives the water upstream and floods cities like Annapolis - which may happen this time.  Fortunately, almost all my friends and all my family live on high ground that doesn't flood.

image.png.82faa57c3622d3cf1b95e9638343dc4f.png

Part of the reason I use the Navy tracking. Posting the link rather than the photo as my computer decided to act up BIG TIME! Usually copy graphic but this comes as a GIF so take it into Photoshop, convert color from layered to RBG and save as jpg. Unfortunately, Photoshop wouldn't load noting video driver error. Windows Device Manager noted bad driver but automatic update says have most recent. Nvidia shows las GTX 960 was 2018 but attempted install says not compatable with this version of Windows 10 - thanks auto-update Microsoft! What a time for this to happen!  Navy/NRL TC_PAGES Page  Will try to convert the graphic on my MacBook Pro.

The big issue I have with the Navy projection...while only projects out to 10/2, I am heading to visit son in CT 10/6-10/10. Prior paths had it proceeding north through GA, western SC and NC as it lost strength and simply was a major rain maker. The new path, while doesn't show directly, is visually projected to enter the Atlantic between Jacksonville and Savannah and back over warm water could re-strengthen. That potentially could impact my trip to CT.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

This is my concern, standing in the direction that the wind will be coming from. Huge oaks topple very easy as they collect the wind and don't have deep tap roots but shallow fan out roots in softened rain-soaked ground. (Insurance won't pay/assist with preventative removal). Also surprised my neighbor's son hasn't moved his boat. Don't have to board-up windows as I upgraded a couple years ago with lifetime warranty, including breakage. These are 'hurricane resistant' dual pane windows, and while the outer pane will break, it interior pane is anti-intrusion, including thieves with a hammer. Also have a new roof installed a couple months ago which, of course, has a warranty. Wanted to get it done prior to hurricane season with enough time to heat seal the shingles so they won't lift in wind, but more important, not have blue tarp and a long wait with escalted prices post storm.

IMG_0828.jpg

Hurricanes or not I still wish I was living back in Florida.  The family will have none of it however.  Youngest son's lungs can't deal with the heat and humidity.

• Heart 1

Noted earlier that problems with PC graphic card driver so switched over to the Mac. Photoshop runs fine on the Mac and could change the color default on the original GIF to RGB and save as a jpg for posting here.

This is what concerns me. Previous paths had it dying out in GA, SC, NC. Now looks like will exit to Atlantic where warm waters will strengthen it. That should be a huge problem for the Mid-Atlantic States and New England. Fearful will impact my planned trip to CT on Oct 6.  On the map, the red lines only project to Oct 2nd.

Navy Irma.jpg

• Sad 1

Yeah, Wind and rain. Not something to shrug off but way better than we were prepping for.

This morning our predictions had 20" of rain and 15' of storm surge. Now we're looking at 9" of rain and hardly any surge. Winds will still be strong 60mph sustained and gusts in the 80s.

Biggest scare now is the oaks and palms. We've had three weeks of consistent heavy evening rain. Our ground is pretty saturated. Winds stay strong enough and the rain dumps enough and we'll have a bunch of downed trees. I've got 12 trees on the property over 20' tall. Several could take out parts of the house.

• Hugs 4

24 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Yeah, Wind and rain. Not something to shrug off but way better than we were prepping for.

This morning our predictions had 20" of rain and 15' of storm surge. Now we're looking at 9" of rain and hardly any surge. Winds will still be strong 60mph sustained and gusts in the 80s.

Biggest scare now is the oaks and palms. We've had three weeks of consistent heavy evening rain. Our ground is pretty saturated. Winds stay strong enough and the rain dumps enough and we'll have a bunch of downed trees. I've got 12 trees on the property over 20' tall. Several could take out parts of the house.

Did they pick up the yard clippings?

With the shift south should be some good shark tooth hunting at Venice Beach after the storm passes. :D New path taking it up through Orlando then back to the Atlantic around Jacksonville. Appears to follow the path of Charlie, but this is a much weaker storm and expected to be tropical wind strength around 63MPH. and weaker still in Jacksonville. Will be a major rain maker with over a foot anticipates and ground already saturated with afternoon thunderstorms.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I've been there when you could float a boat from one end of Duval ST. to the other.  That same hurricane showed me why there was armored glass on the barracks windows as the wind picked up rocks from the ground and threw them at the barracks.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I just think it’s going to hit higher on the coast, closer to Sarasota/Bradenton. We’ll see. 

My FIL lived there but is in TX now.  One of the reasons he picked that part of FL was (his words not mine) the west coast rarely gets a direct hit from hurricanes as they either hit the east coast or travel up the gulf and hit the pan handle, AL, LA & TX.  I don’t really know but found it interesting it hit there.

His ex is still in Bradenton and when we spoke on Monday she had already evacuated the area.

• Heart 1

Picking up here and watching outside on my security cameras. Can tell as each band comes through as waves of water then nothing before the next band advances. Still have power. Should be an interesting evening.

Need to figure out how to turn off Ring neighborhood notifications. Keep getting new ones and some are so absurd. Some of my favorites are "Power is still on" (like we care wherever you live). Another "Power is on but it flickered twice in one minute. What do I do?"  Or this one has to be a joke "What's going on - what's up with this weather? I haven't seen anything on the news. Is there a big storm?" (We were remarking earlier that TV wasn't even breaking for commercials.)

My lights just flickered on that last sentence, so will be interesting tonight.

• Hugs 4

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Northwest Tampa faired great. We are very fortunate. Never lost power, not even a stutter. Trees all did well too. Our rain was even pretty low, only a few inches. 

My brother did well in Gainesville. Said a few more bands are on the way, but so far, so good. 

• Heart 2

Celebrated too soon. Didn’t lose power during storm, even dialed fridge and freezer back to normal. Then today power goes out. Wondered why traffic was so heavy outside. Being diverted through neighborhood while pole replaced. Neighbor said got text from Duke, replacing cable, out to Oct 2nd. Hope not. My text from Duke were more generic.

AE317814-0964-4CA5-8577-C6788F250321.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1