How long can buck at English language's supremacy on Internet

shootingstar

There are some fluently bilingual English-Chinese bloggers....I can see from their personal blog posts, that they are ex-pats or immigrants either living outside of China / HK/Taiwan. Personal impressions of UK places, etc. ..and only based on their photos.  They interperse posts with bits of English.

Hope they can continue this mother tongue preservation thing by blogging 90% in Chinese.  That's how one of them explained it to me. 

Most impressive are bloggers that offer their personal blog posts in both languages.  It doesn't matter...English-French, English-German, etc.  Automatic translators don't work for creative expressions, but it's ok.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Automatic translators don't work for creative expressions, but it's ok.

We, IIT grad school students around 1973, were teasing one of the Taiwanese students and telling him lies about American customs and making up weird stuff.  He said, laughingly in Taiwanese (phonetically), "Funko Pee."  I turned to my Taiwanese roommate and asked what he said and he replied, "He's onto the tricks. He said, 'Dog makes wind.'"

In other words, "Dog fart!"  I told him that, in English, the equivalent is "Bullshit!"

But since words are said by expelling air and so are farts, I think "dog fart" is more accurate and more creative.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

We, IIT grad school students around 1973, were teasing one of the Taiwanese students and telling him lies about American customs and making up weird stuff.  He said, laughingly in Taiwanese (phonetically), "Funko Pee."  I turned to my Taiwanese roommate and asked what he said and he replied, "He's onto the tricks. He said, 'Dog makes wind.'"

In other words, "Dog fart!"  I told him that, in English, the equivalent is "Bullshit!"

But since words are said by expelling air and so are farts, I think "dog fart" is more accurate and more creative.

Toro PooPoo :D

The extent of my Spanish (not really) but easily translatable reply when someone objects to harming their virgin ears with the English expression.

16 hours ago, shootingstar said:

How long can buck at English language's supremacy on Internet

Sadly, it doesn't end well if Chinese becomes "the language" of the internet.  Nor the currency of choice. Nor pretty much any system, process, or decision path that requires China as the "gateway".  

It's going that way in some respects, as they're a manufacturing behemoth now, but I doubt the Chinese folks have the passion or strength to throw off their government for something better :( Maybe 100 yrs from now?

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, it doesn't end well if Chinese becomes "the language" of the internet.  Nor the currency of choice. Nor pretty much any system, process, or decision path that requires China as the "gateway".  

It's going that way in some respects, as they're a manufacturing behemoth now, but I doubt the Chinese folks have the passion or strength to throw off their government for something better :( Maybe 100 yrs from now?

I think the point of the personal bloggers is not conquering the world.  It's just keeping their own mother tongue fluency, by using it on their personal blog.