What does your family value?

Airehead

Are similar or dissimilar to them?
my parents and grandparents valued a job well done, hard work, and giving to others. My mother believed in lighting the candle close to home— doing good deeds in your community. 
I agree with how I was raised but I am more global in my giving. 

• Heart 1

My parents valued doing your job to the best of your ability - showing up despite bad weather or other excuses. They came from immigrant families who never took a job for granted.

They were also extremely focused on family.  If we had an event or an activity, you could count on their being there.   Being with each other mattered more than what we were doing.

They also had a good focus on  "things" and financial priorities.  They demonstrated that you spent your money on things that mattered most (to them, supporting family and education) even if that meant trading off on other things.

I think I'm generally in sync with their principles, although I may not be as disciplined as they were regarding spending.

• Heart 2

My family values family and hard work or at least, consistency. And respect, compassion. With the natural differences because of culture, language, multiple generations, etc. the latter 2 values are something that needs sustainment and  important we all interact in person, not distantly via Internet.  I know my siblings with children, have worked to cultivate to help them to have a more "global", world view. I can see how the kids respond (well, some aren't kids anymore).  That stuff doesn't just happen without parental involvement.

No, you will not find strong right-wing, anti-immigrant views in our extended family.

I sense the kids do know about hard work and what lies ahead.  It is important they are in the presence of immigrant grandparents / relatives, in person and can experience/observe interactions.

• Heart 2

My eldest niece, the rom-com writer within the global community of writers, does share public comments about the Chinese side of her family, ie. my parents/her mother and bits about Chinese-Canadian history that she has read over the years. So there is already... the next generation taking up the torch to run.

I'm a strong believer if a person is abit "lost" in identity/life, then to look first from where they come from:  harvest  good values and reject the bad, and then go forward.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My family values family. Spending time together & being there for each other.

This!  When one member of my extended family's wife divorced him, she told me that only thing that had kept the marriage intact for years was the closeness of the family that didn't exist in her own family.

• Heart 1