When riding on an elevator by yourself

jsharr

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Bill and Ted Adventure? 

Our son hadn't heard of this movie; we came across it on the Roku the other night and we watched the trailer.  I found it as cringe-worthy as he did.  Embarrassed to have paid money to see it in a theater.

I'm not often in an elevator but my preference is to be leaning against one of the back corners.  I think my weight is pretty inconsequential compared to the weight involved in the elevator/counterbalance system.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Our son hadn't heard of this movie; we came across it on the Roku the other night and we watched the trailer.  I found it as cringe-worthy as he did.  Embarrassed to have paid money to see it in a theater.

I'm not often in an elevator but my preference is to be leaning against one of the back corners.  I think my weight is pretty inconsequential compared to the weight involved in the elevator/counterbalance system.

Did you make sure to get buzzed or faded prior to watching this? 

• Heart 1

Just now, Kirby said:

If alone in the elevator, I usually stand to the side to avoid other people if they get on later.

This seldom happens for me.  The elevators for my floor are for floors 12-18 only.  I am on 14 (actually 13 but our building must be superstitious and does not have a floor 13) so if I get on by myself, there is almost zero chance it is stopping on the way up.  Same is usually true for the way down as well.    I would say well over 50% of my elevator rides are by myself and about half of those, I try to stand near the center of the elvator, but facing the glass wall, so I can look out as I go up or down or off to some time in the past to save the world, or at least San Dimas. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

One of the offices I sometimes visit in NYC has elevators where you enter the floor you want on a center post, and then it lights up with which elevator you should take (from a bank of about 8 elevators).  When you get on,t here is no button to push and it automatically stops at the right floors.  I find that unnerving and freakish.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

28 minutes ago, Allen said:

I could not be paid to ride that thing. 
No way, no how. Nope. 

I had a bunch of scout leaders come to the office.  When they came up, no issues.  We met for a few hours and then walked back to elevator and one of the ladies freaked out walking onto the elevator and seeing the night lights of Dallas greeting her.  She did not notice the glass wall on the way up, as she must have been facing the doors.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

One of the offices I sometimes visit in NYC has elevators where you enter the floor you want on a center post, and then it lights up with which elevator you should take (from a bank of about 8 elevators).  When you get on,t here is no button to push and it automatically stops at the right floors.  I find that unnerving and freakish.

They have the ability to make floor access here on a per person basis.  In the video, you can see the guy pushing buttons that will not light up.  Those floors are access restricted and you have to use card to access those floors.  During covid, we had to use a card to access our floor.  I am assuming they were tracking card scans to know who was coming in, etc.  

At my old building, I had to put a key in the elevator and turn it while pushing my floor button.  That was cumbersome and got comments from tenants on other floors.  

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Do you try to stand in the exact middle of the floor, maybe even use the floor tile pattern to judge the exact middle of the floor, to keep the elvator perfectly balanced so it does not fly off the rails in some sort of crazy Bill and Ted Adventure? 

Sometimes I jump and think about how this affects my relative speed at that moment.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Do you try to stand in the exact middle of the floor, maybe even use the floor tile pattern to judge the exact middle of the floor, to keep the elvator perfectly balanced so it does not fly off the rails in some sort of crazy Bill and Ted Adventure? 

No, I usually want one hand on the rail that often runs along the wall.

A girl named Jane that I was close to in college was afraid of elevators and always took the stairs.  One day, I talked her into taking the elevator.  I started jumping up and down to show her the elevator was safe.  It got stuck!  Wherever Jane is now, I bet she's still scared of elevators!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I had a bunch of scout leaders come to the office.  When they came up, no issues.  We met for a few hours and then walked back to elevator and one of the ladies freaked out walking onto the elevator and seeing the night lights of Dallas greeting her.  She did not notice the glass wall on the way up, as she must have been facing the doors.

Wo2 & I got into a hotel elevator that was all glass. she stood with her nose to the door, staring straight ahead.

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That is more and more common, I think the last 10 times I have been in elevators, it has been like that.

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have never thought about my position in the car but now that you have mentioned it my OCD will erupt next time and I will be totally confused as to where to stand.  Thanks jsharr.

Rudy does not like elevators.  He doesn't understand floors that move.

You are welcome.  

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have never thought about my position in the car but now that you have mentioned it my OCD will erupt next time and I will be totally confused as to where to stand.  Thanks jsharr.

Rudy does not like elevators.  He doesn't understand floors that move.

I used to train Rose-the-Doberman at the train station. I'd put her at the bottom of the down escalator, tell her to "Stay", I'd go to the top & then tell her to "Come". The first couple of times she was a bit hesitant, but she got it pretty quickly.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What?  I don't remember that at all.  

Something about him wanting to be prepared for emergencies. Sticking his finger in the barrel of a gun as it was fired at him (maybe a bullet does need a running start); trying to flap his arms at the end of the wing of an aircraft as it was about to crash; jumping up at the last second of a falling elevator ("who knows, maybe you'll find a bunch of dead people on the floor & me with my head sticking through the ceiling")

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Something about him wanting to be prepared for emergencies. Sticking his finger in the barrel of a gun as it was fired at him (maybe a bullet does need a running start); trying to flap his arms at the end of the wing of an aircraft as it was about to crash; jumping up at the last second of a falling elevator ("who knows, maybe you'll find a bunch of dead people on the floor & me with my head sticking through the ceiling")

He was funny before he got creepy.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

No.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I could not be paid to ride that thing. 
No way, no how. Nope. 

When I had to climb a 26 foot ladder to stain my home, that scares the hell out of me.  But I still did the work.   I had a death grip on that ladder, and to took longer than it should have too.  I was too cheap to hire a painter.   I only use my 26 foot ladder when absolutely necessary... and it always scares me to death,

We went on a vacation to Sedona AZ.  We booked a hot air balloon ride.   I was certain I'd totally freak out and they guy would have to land early.  But for some reason...  I was fine.   Go figure...   :scratchhead:

Years ago, the day we visited the Washington Monument, everyone had the opportunity to take the stairs down from the top This is almost never open to the public.  WoBG wanted to take the stairs down.    No way was I going to take the stairs. Nope not for 500 feet....   

Taking stairs up (and then down) in more than a few light houses on vacations scared the me too.  But I just didn't look down too much while on the stairs.  

Glass elevators in Chicago... never had any issues with those.

I guess my fear of heights is more like a fear of falling. 

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

then how would you get out?

You can open them from inside the floor and go down and open the exit door at the bottom.  Just cannot move floor to floor via the firestairs I believe.  We have to do fire drills and go down and exit the building annually.  

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Just cannot move floor to floor via the firestairs I believe.  We have to do fire drills and go down and exit the building annually.  

So.... if there is a fire, and the fire is in a lower floor, and the stairs for some reason are unsafe at that location (Towering Inferno style).... then you are trapped in the stairs?  :frantics:

That seems like a BAD idea.   

27 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So.... if there is a fire, and the fire is in a lower floor, and the stairs for some reason are unsafe at that location (Towering Inferno style).... then you are trapped in the stairs?  :frantics:

That seems like a BAD idea.   

I believe there is a system of blocks and interlocks that open all doors in the case of the fire alarms being triggered. But in normal day today operations mini floors have restricted access via the fire safety stairwells only. 

And of course there are national standards that are building this size is supposed to meet and I’m pretty sure they are being adhered to

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I stand really close to the door so that the next person to get on might think for a moment that it’s too crowded. 

I do this when the elevator stops at my floor. I make sure to be standing right in the center of the door as close to it as possible so that I can get off before everyone tries to barge on

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I do this when the elevator stops at my floor. I make sure to be standing right in the center of the door as close to it as possible so that I can get off before everyone tries to barge on

It makes the door open faster. 
Plus, there’s more room for my enormous ego. 

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

So I guess if you ever come to Toronto the CN Tower would not be on your list?

I’m sure the lobby is nice. 
If I can feel the building sway in the wind, I’m not just leaving the building, I’m leaving town. 

Edge of a sheer cliff, no problem. Tall buildings and bridges however, I am not a fan. 

• Heart 1