Ginger crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning

jsharr

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

I loved that dog. This is the only dog we’ve owned that I have not got to hold as he took his last breath.  Did not even get to say good bye.

Godspeed Ginger.  I will miss your barks as I come in the door.  

Sometimes they know and plan for you not to be there. Thinking of you. 

• Heart 1

So Martha was able to speak with me this morning about Ginger.  He was her dog.  They went everywhere together.  Geocaching, to the lake, to the store, wherever she went, Ginger wanted to go.  Only place he did not go was to school with her.  A room full of third graders would be too much.

We have known for quite a while that Ginger's time with us was drawing to an end.  He has had heart and lung issues for a long time, that we managed with medications and diet.   Lately, his breathing was becoming labored more often.  Saturday AM Martha woke to Ginger having trouble breathing, panting and whimpering.  He seldom whimpers, so I am thinking he was hurting.  His enlarged heart pressed on other organs and he must have been in pain.   At the vet he was not breathing at times, even on oxygen.   The decision was made to help Ginger cross over.   

Ginger came to us late in his life.  He was born in Australia and lived most of his life on a sheep station.   When the owner of the sheep station finally decided to sell, she could not take Ginger with her.  Luckily her daughter is a friend of ours and brought Ginger back to the States with her after getting her mother settled in a retirement cottage in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia.   I am thankful for the time we got to share with Ginger and I am grateful that Martha was able to love him right up until he took his last breath.

Thanks for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers.  They are all appreciated.

• Hugs 2

On 10/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, jsharr said:

Ginger crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning

Super sorry for your and WoJsharr's loss :(  Ginger seemed like a pretty cool dog, and that he got some wonderful memories with your family - however brief - is proof how much joy is brought into our world by dogs and cats and other creatures.  You give them love and they return it in so many ways, so a day, a month, a year, or over a decade, time with our furry friends is among life's most rewarding, uncomplicated, and true relationships.  Ginger was lucky to have found his way to you, and you were lucky to have him.