House plants

petitepedal

My house plants:

A jade bonsai, a larger jade that I am letting get as big as it wants, a rosemary bonsai, a lemon tree bonsai, a cactus, a viking begonia (that has bloomed since Spring...how does that happen?), and an orchid.  

I have quite a graveyard of house plants that I have killed.  This place is so bright.  Plants do well.  I need a Christas cactus.  I may snip a piece of my pals.  I grew that one and gifted it to her.  

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Aside from 2 Christmas Cactus' I have had none

I haven't had any for years.  Maybe I'll start with a Christmas Cactus this year.  I once had a miniature tangerine tree about 5 feet tall that I kept outside in a big pot when there was no frost danger and in my living room during colder times.  It has inch-long thorns and used to scratch my legs when vacuuming and cleaning around it.  If I do it again, I'll try to find some citrus tree with no thorns.

In the 1980's, I was the President of my community association and, until we raised the money and built our own building, a strip shopping center let us meet in a vacant store.

Next to us was a Woolworth's that put a cart of houseplants on the sidewalk each day and wheeled them in at closing - which was just before our meeting time.

My father would go to the meetings with me and noticed broken branches that fell from the cart and were still on the sidewalk, so he'd pick them up, stick them in water for a week, and plant them.  Soon he had about 20 plants, philodendrons, prayer plants, wandering Jews, etc. growing around the house and I got some from him!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We have 13 of various kinds.
A big pot contains a somewhat tall yucca with mini ivy around the base. Two snake plants, one large and one small enough to sit on the desk. A spider plant. A hanging angel plant. A philodendron that I haven’t found a happy place for, yet. It sends out lots of leaves that eventually turn yellow and die. I tried feeding it, but that made the leaves turn yellow and die faster. An African violet that blooms all year. It’s in a very happy place. A pancake plant. An aloe that gets floppy. A moth orchid that grew a flower spike this spring and has a new leaf this summer. A cute bonsai in the shape of a mini baobab tree. And a hanging pothos in the bathroom. I’m not sure where we’ll put that after the renovation. It’s to the right of the sink, but we’re changing to a vanity with double sinks, and there’s going to be a sink where the plant is now. 
Lots of outdoor plants, too. 

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My father would go to the meetings with me and noticed broken branches that fell from the cart and were still on the sidewalk, so he'd pick them up, stick them in water for a week, and plant them.  Soon he had about 20 plants, philodendrons, prayer plants, wandering Jews, etc. growing around the house and I got some from him!

I have a SIL who notices broken stems, even if she has to break them, claims it needed pruning..Anyway the girl could plant a ball bat and grow an ash tree