A sign that I'm getting older

Kirby

Yeah, I wouldn't go to any of them if I weren't interested.  It's not worth my time, and I always feel bad for the salesman.  But I just had to laugh that I seemed to have moved from financial firms to something more, uh, final.

• Heart 1

From a funeral planning place would bother me for a free meal.  I could live with financial planning firm freebie.

I've never been freebie meal courted for any services.  I guess Canadian firms tend to be cheap.  Seriously. Probably just a plate of hor'd'oeuvres and wine at most, if lucky.

Now it it was sporting goods firm.. :flirtyeyess:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I just got one from attorneys that do living wills and such. 

I sure hope I don't get courted in that way.   I've never heard any friends receiving that sort of thing.

It must more an American style of marketing....which requires $$ by firm. Such largesse. :flirtyeyess:

I remember when those stupid pyramid schemes like Amway would sucker people into getting a free meal and then listen to them yap about how you can go into business for yourself and become a millionaire just selling overpriced soap to your friends and relatives. I think the government put a stop to those shady practices if the company even still exsists.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Don't you remember my free halibut invite?   This financial lady has invited me several times for halibut as she slings this annuity thing.  I have had dinner twice.  I like the halibut.  I only went for the halibut.  

I haven't had funeral halibut, yet.  :mellow:

What I meant by that other thread is that tastes change.  I eat so many healthy vegetables that I used to hate.  I even like beets.

Like bitter melon. I find myself buying a fresh one every few months, at produce section and prep a dish that lasts for 2 meals. As a kid, I used to think my mother was nuts to serve it to us.

I rarely had yogurt until the last 8 yrs. which I have now daily for breakfast.

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I even like beets.

Tom Robbins > Quotes > Quotable Quote

(?)
Tom Robbins

“The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.

Slavic peoples get their physical characteristics from potatoes, their smoldering inquietude from radishes, their seriousness from beets.

The beet is the melancholy vegetable, the one most willing to suffer. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...

The beet is the murderer returned to the scene of the crime. The beet is what happens when the cherry finishes with the carrot. The beet is the ancient ancestor of the autumn moon, bearded, buried, all but fossilized; the dark green sails of the grounded moon-boat stitched with veins of primordial plasma; the kite string that once connected the moon to the Earth now a muddy whisker drilling desperately for rubies.

The beet was Rasputin's favorite vegetable. You could see it in his eyes.”

Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
  • Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Tom Robbins > Quotes > Quotable Quote

(?)
Tom Robbins

“The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.

Slavic peoples get their physical characteristics from potatoes, their smoldering inquietude from radishes, their seriousness from beets.

The beet is the melancholy vegetable, the one most willing to suffer. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...

The beet is the murderer returned to the scene of the crime. The beet is what happens when the cherry finishes with the carrot. The beet is the ancient ancestor of the autumn moon, bearded, buried, all but fossilized; the dark green sails of the grounded moon-boat stitched with veins of primordial plasma; the kite string that once connected the moon to the Earth now a muddy whisker drilling desperately for rubies.

The beet was Rasputin's favorite vegetable. You could see it in his eyes.”

Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

:D

Beets give me murderous hands, stained red.  

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I remember when those stupid pyramid schemes like Amway would sucker people into getting a free meal and then listen to them yap about how you can go into business for yourself and become a millionaire just selling overpriced soap to your friends and relatives. I think the government put a stop to those shady practices if the company even still exsists.

But they did make good silver polish. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The DeVos family made their fortune with Amway. Betsy made school vouchers a reality and became US Secretary of Education. 

• Heart 1