An update on me

Square Wheels

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am glad you are finally learning to drive.  Must have been Hell to have the nice orange Beemer sitting in the garage and having to wait for your wife to drive you around!  Good luck on the driving test! 

They actually gave me a license, at least a paper one.  Lucky for me, no test required.  They took my MA license away.  MA let us keep our old ones, I have a few in the drawer of my desk.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

They actually gave me a license, at least a paper one.  Lucky for me, no test required.  They took my MA license away.  MA let us keep our old ones, I have a few in the drawer of my desk.

I misunderstood, I thought you were finally learning to drive.  My bad.  Thanks for the clarification.

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No worries, I brought my MA driving skills here.

You realize that you are not required to honk the horn and wave your middle finger the entire time you are behind the wheel, correct?  In the south, we reserve that for vehicles with plates from the north east.   Sort of like how they treat Texans in Colorado.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

So happy to hear that things are going well.  Moving is incredibly stressful, and moving a long distance is even more stressful.  If you can be this positive in the middle of all this upheaval, it's definitely a sign you made a good decision. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

The next town over has a cycling group, they seem fairly active.  I'm not a group ride kind of person, my wife is.  She'll probably join them in the spring.

Since you haven’t lived there through a winter yet you are not the person to ask but I would guess you would have a much longer cycling season than Boston. Possibly with days all winter that would be comfortable to go riding.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

The next town over has a cycling group, they seem fairly active.  I'm not a group ride kind of person, my wife is.  She'll probably join them in the spring.

It might be group riding for self-preservation.  When I lived in Charlotte, drivers harassed cyclists whenever possible, eventually I stopped riding on the road because of it.  I hope there are a better class of people in TN.

On 10/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, Square Wheels said:

The new house is awesome.  We really like what little we've seen on the lifestyle here.  People are very friendly, the pace is much slower.  I'm still not really at work, I start next week. 

Our old house was a little musty, I am very sensitive to that, so we decided to buy new furniture down here.  Also, our furniture was either really old, our very low quality (in case my daughters dog ate it) so we either threw it away or sold it.  We took our kitchen table, that's really the only place we have to sit - not very comfy.  We have all of the bedroom furniture.

Today our dining room table arrives and a table for our table for the TV / exercise room.  The couch for that room will be a couple more months.

The living room is rather large, it currently has some more boxes to unpack.  We'll be done with most of the unpacking this weekend.  The living room will sit empty for a while.  We want a funky kind of sitting area for that.  Also, there will be a few matching bar stools for the kitchen counter - open to the living room.

Overall, we're pretty happy being here.  Our neighbors across the street are really nice.  We don't have a lot of neighbors yet as this is a new development.  5 or 6 houses are being built near us, some sold, some not.

I miss posting here.  I haven't been mostly because of all we're doing trying to settle in (I got my driver's license yesterday) and partly because I don't have a comfy chair to sit in.

When my house was rebuilt, I had a bed delivered and had the Fios TV/Internet/Phone installed before I moved in.  I bought a cheap 6-foot folding table for the kitchen and 4 good-but-cheap-from-Costco padded folding chairs and some tray tables.

I used borrowed lawn chairs to watch my brother's 19" TV until I got a 65" TV.  When a decent recliner arrived a couple weeks later, I was in business!

Just now, MickinMD said:

When my house was rebuilt, I had a bed delivered and had the Fios TV/Internet/Phone installed before I moved in.  I bought a cheap 6-foot folding table for the kitchen and 4 good-but-cheap-from-Costco padded folding chairs and some tray tables.

I used borrowed lawn chairs to watch my brother's 19" TV until I got a 65" TV.  When a decent recliner arrived a couple weeks later, I was in business!

Dear Leader does not watch TV.  

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

It might be group riding for self-preservation.  When I lived in Charlotte, drivers harassed cyclists whenever possible, eventually I stopped riding on the road because of it.  I hope there are a better class of people in TN.

For the most polite drivers come to where I ride. Most everybody goes completely into the other lane when passing me. The ones that don’t are still over the four feet required by Pennsylvania law. When I’m approaching a curve or a hilltop when you can’t see what is coming they slow down to my speed and wait until I am over the hill or around the bend and they can see that the road is clear to pass.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

For the most polite drivers come to where I ride. Most everybody goes completely into the other lane when passing me. The ones that don’t are still over the four feet required by Pennsylvania law. When I’m approaching a curve or a hilltop when you can’t see what is coming they slow down to my speed and wait until I am over the hill or around the bend and they can see that the road is clear to pass.

You didn't tell us you'd died and gone to heaven....................