Tell me about ovaltine

Randomguy

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

We didn’t use Ovaltine growing up. Nestle Quick was the go to in our house. I’m not sure why. The parents didn’t pay attention to what the vermin wanted. Can’t you make your own with some cocoa powder and powdered sugar?

I don't think so.  This is the stuff I want, they have it nailed for chocolate milk.

Ovaltine is a bit of a dumb name, too.

My mom would occasionally buy ovaltine when I was growing up, I don't know why exactly.  But, I always preferred Nestle Quick.  It seemed it didn't matter how much Ovaltine I added to the glass of milk, it would never be a chocolaty as Nestle Quick. 

Then, she came home with a half gallon of chocolate milk.  Whole new ballgame there...

• Heart 1

Ovaltine, the only fart suppressing food drink. I don’t think RG would like that.

when I was a kid Ovaltine was a health food. By the time I was in high school they had changed the formula to imitate Quick. Nothing but sugar and coco powder. I don’t know how that affected sales but we quit buying it.

I had never heard it would plug up farts. That’s new to me.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I think it was 'required' to use Ovaltine where I grew up.   The factory that made the stuff was just a bit less than 1 mile from my parents home.

When it was in operation, it smelled like chocolate in the area near the factory. The factory sat abandoned for years.  Then someone figured out it could be used again.  https://www.ovaltinecourt.com/  

The web site had this picture.    The site looks a LOT different now.

image.thumb.png.0d6f64826ad2c3612d391e5d2686beab.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That looks like a neat building.  Do you think they'd move it to the East Coast for me?

You could always move here.   

Then again... many are leaving our state for a reason.  Maybe moving here... may be a bad idea.  :scratchhead:

Here is my Ovaltine story… My mom was in her mid teens when Indonesia was liberated by the Allies.  Someone up the food chain had the great idea to give them Ovaltine to bolster their nutrients as most were under nourished from the camps.  Except…. fresh milk was nearly impossible to get in a war torn island country.  She tried it with water but ultimately cases & cases of Ovaltine went to waste.

As I really don’t care for milk, even chocolate milk we didn’t have Ovaltine nor Quick around our house growing up. My dad made us drink a small glass of milk with dinner and I probably hadn’t had milk for decades after he died. I actually can’t remember the last time I drank milk…