What do you miss most of LF?

The_Karen_Cooper_Incident

The LF was my first internet forum (joined in 2002).  They were far from gentle.

Used to be a lot of fun to trade puns with sixfingers. I wonder what became of him.

I chuckled anytime Biker Billy called anyone "hamfisted", unless it was me.

And that monkey guy, sandblasting magnesium parts without regard to structural integrity.

Good times.  I still don't know what to do with these leftover HC points.

I miss montany and MC as well.  There were some good peoples there.  My fav LF moment was when everyone made the tracking thread about me doing the IM.  That was touching.  I almost shed a tear.

That was a fun thread.  Someone wanted you to hurry up because they were getting tired and wanted to go to bed.  I lol'ed.

• Heart 1

The LF was my first non-computer computer forum (get it?).  I think I joined somewhere around 1998.  I loved it right from the beginning, with Biker Billy for maintenance served with a side of snarkiness.  There were many different eras that I enjoyed:

- The era of PimpOnWheels and Machka - Pimp was hilarious, and Machka was inspiring with her dedication to riding.   One of my favourite eras. :)  It was a great combination.

- Era of the babes - Warasa and many others. :)

- The "Cyclist" era - Cyclist was a poster who was addicted for a few years - I can relate. :D  But he flamed out and came back briefly as Texasaurus Rex, but he was a shadow of his former self.  He kicked the addiction! :D

- horndude and duhhhh - the peak of real meaningful discussion, I thought.  Was short-lived. :D

- Solar Mango Monkey Swirley Guy - a real hoot

- The webbie era

- The FY and Pebs era - another favourite.  Especially the exchanges with webbie on the recirculating the exhaust bit. :D

- The current era - meh.  Still loads of good people there, but there is no "era", no critical mass, little joie de vivre as far as I can tell. :(  But there are many many longtimers like Chief and roadsue and Bob and Kirbie and madcity and rq and Soylent and mittens and so-forth who are still around, either here or there. :)

• Heart 1

okay. You are the reason so many good people left there, and joined here.

I can sorta understand. :rolleyes:

actually a lot of people left there because of the attitude toward new people, and the constant bitching about certain topics. 

• Heart 3

actually a lot of people left there because of the attitude toward new people, and the constant bitching about certain topics.

I like that SW makes an effort to keep this place free of religion and politics.

I'm guilty of getting into religious and political arguments with others here, but I think SW does a good job of dropping the hammer on those threads.
  • Heart 1

I miss SoCalRoadie..he disappeared a long time ago....and FSOG and a few others ...they either got tired of some of the BS or the format who knows...I also miss Phoenix and Jaxie...I think they are mostly on Facebook

Phoenix and Ajax are great peeps.

I got phoenix to join here, but I haven't seen a post here lately. I know he's doing well, but just not posting.

I miss the days when we had pages and pages of responses in a short period of time. It allowed a joke or stroy to grow rapidly. Webby and the hose was a good time. Also the time that Hackier had to transport eggs and hens in his little car. That was fun too.

My favorite memory of all however was when we all helped Parr8 with his IronMan. It was exhausting but fun. I hope he ahs rehydrated.

• Heart 1

I think Mad is upset about this place. Montana said once that he put me on ignore. I don't think I ever talked to him.
Oh well.

Mad City thinks I am the devil, and that I have no honor because I did what I said I was gonna do and left the Rodale bastard site, then had the nerve to ask people to ditch the nastiness and come here.  He should have left like we did, while Rodale is planning new ways to degrade the user experience, as they are right now.

I miss the days when we had pages and pages of responses in a short period of time. It allowed a joke or stroy to grow rapidly. Webby and the hose was a good time. Also the time that Hackier had to transport eggs and hens in his little car. That was fun too.

My favorite memory of all however was when we all helped Parr8 with his IronMan. It was exhausting but fun. I hope he ahs rehydrated.

I, too, so miss the threaded responses, things really heated up quickly then.  I liked most of the people that a lot of folks didn't, as they lent a different viewpoint that fueled discussion.  Shammy was one, we had some heated discussions, and I would still like to have a beer with him.

I really miss Mango a lot, Wingnut, too.

Mad City thinks I am the devil, and that I have no honor because I did what I said I was gonna do and left the Rodale bastard site, then had the nerve to ask people to ditch the nastiness and come here. He should have left like we did, while Rodale is planning new ways to degrade the user experience, as they are right now.

this place wouldn't be the right without you.
  • Heart 1

Much of the time I was there, I saw a lot of people, myself included, treated as "outsiders" by some people.  We have none of that here.  Everyone is friendly to everyone for the most part and when there is a problem, SW takes charge of the situation and corrects it.  We go out of our way to welcome new members.  I think most people here have genuine affection for each other, to some extent.

I miss Chopped Liver, but I do not "miss" the LF.

• Heart 2

Much of the time I was there, I saw a lot of people, myself included, treated as "outsiders" by some people. We have none of that here. Everyone is friendly to everyone for the most part and when there is a problem, SW takes charge of the situation and corrects it. We go out of our way to welcome new members. I think most people here have genuine affection for each other, to some extent.

It wasn't just the newbies that got treated as outsiders over there, some of us oldtimers got it too. There were a few who kind of took over the place and if you weren't playing their game, you weren't playing at all. That's when I cut back to pretty much lurking.
  • Heart 1

Much of the time I was there, I saw a lot of people, myself included, treated as "outsiders" by some people. We have none of that here. Everyone is friendly to everyone for the most part and when there is a problem, SW takes charge of the situation and corrects it. We go out of our way to welcome new members. I think most people here have genuine affection for each other, to some extent.

The love forum was a great place, and there was a time when so many "imaginary" friends came to my aid. I know who a few of those friends are, but many more just helped me out without allowing me to thank them.
Rick and Pat got everything started, but so many followed.

I can never thank those people enough. I hope Rick knows that every time I curse at him, that there's also brotherly love behind it.
  • Heart 2

It wasn't just the newbies that got treated as outsiders over there, some of us oldtimers got it too. There were a few who kind of took over the place and if you weren't playing their game, you weren't playing at all. That's when I cut back to pretty much lurking.

I guess I must have a thick skin or something, because I am pretty adept at shrugging that type of thing off.  Believe you me, RL is so full of that that I just figure it is their problem and I do my best not to make it mine.  But honestly I never really noticed an excessive amount of it at the LF.  The whole Centurion/Jane Romano thing was another matter - the occasional psycho who would make everyone's life miserable.  My only real complaint aboot the LF has always been the low traffic, but lately I just find very little of interest there. :(  So is that RG and SW's and the restofus's fault?  I think we are a little like Formosa (I like that better than Taiwan :D)'s and mainland China.  The only question is is it RG or SW that is Chang Kai Sheck(sp?)? :D

(I always found it hilarious when we would go to a Chinese restaurant with a Chinese guy in the group, and invariably he and the waiter would start yelling at each other in Chinese and the explanation was always "Taiwan". :D