Riddle me this. The decaf coffee packets at work are lighter than the regular

Ralphie

I recently bought two different brands of coffee to try. Peet’s dark roast and Black Rifle Blackbeard’s Delight. The Blackbeard’s delight has a very strong flavor, not sure if I like it but better than ️Bucks. Peet’s dark roast has a very mild flavor. That surprised me the first time I made it. Today I ground twice as many beans to brew a pot and it was very good.

Both of these coffees are from my neighborhood Amish discount grocery. I probably will go back to regular Columbian coffee when I finish these. I’m too frugal to pay full price for these fancy brands.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Maybe blend the two? 

I love blends.  I do that in my morning coffee I get.  Currently I'm drinking some half house breakfast and half some Costa Rican coffee.  The Coata Rican is just a bit bitter but smoothed out real nicely with the house blend. 

Our go to at home is half house blend, half mocha java blend from a regional chain.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I love blends.  I do that in my morning coffee I get.  Currently I'm drinking some half house breakfast and half some Costa Rican coffee.  The Coata Rican is just a bit bitter but smoothed out real nicely with the house blend. 

Our go to at home is half house blend, half mocha java blend from a regional chain.

I was just cleaning the fridge and found a bag. No idea what was in it. Turns out it is some kind of mocha coffee beans. I opened the bag and it smelled good. Now for good coffee you need to grind the beans soon after roasting. I know I never made coffee for my wife the last two or three years of her life and she has been gone for a year and a half. Maybe this should be posted in the expired food thread? @petitepedal is the expert on expired food but she doesn’t drink coffee. I think owl just grind some and make a pot and see what it tastes like. The beans look good, no mold or anything. Ok, The bag is stamped with the name of the coffee shop. This goes back years, my son used to play in a coffee house when he was in high school. He just turned forty in September. Aged to perfection, just like a fine wine.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was just cleaning the fridge and found a bag. No idea what was in it. Turns out it is some kind of mocha coffee beans. I opened the bag and it smelled good. Now for good coffee you need to grind the beans soon after roasting. I know I never made coffee for my wife the last two or three years of her life and she has been gone for a year and a half. Maybe this should be posted in the expired food thread? @petitepedal is the expert on expired food but she doesn’t drink coffee. I think owl just grind some and make a pot and see what it tastes like. The beans look good, no mold or anything. Ok, The bag is stamped with the name of the coffee shop. This goes back years, my son used to play in a coffee house when he was in high school. He just turned forty in September. Aged to perfection, just like a fine wine.

What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’d ask Couch as the resident coffee expert. @Sofa_Loren probably wouldn’t steer you wrong.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

All I can think of is somehow the European process for decaffeination must increase the ability for the water to extract the goodies. Otherwise the decaf would be way weaker tasting but it is snot. 

Happiness is surprisingly heavy.

• Awesome 1

16 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

All I can think of is somehow the European process for decaffeination must increase the ability for the water to extract the goodies. Otherwise the decaf would be way weaker tasting but it is snot. 

As a scientist, all I can think of is that the decaffeination process may result in more surface area per unit weight or a more permeable surface so that more coffee biochemicals can be extracted with less material.