Does DD/MM/YYYY not make sense to you all?

Wilbur

24 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We use yyyy,mm,dd in our organization.  Makes it easier for long term filing by date.

As a database person, I liked yyyymmdd. Of course that will lead to a Y10000K problem, but I'll be long dead by then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I long for the good old days when it was MM/DD/YY. I get the red letters and I am like "What the..?" Like I am talking about 1922 instead of 2022.

A lot of other countries go by day-month-year and a lot of the pre-packaged programming is written in places like China and sold all over the world.  When I was dealing with the Social Security Administration online to get a new card during the pandemic and I tried to reenter some information, Chinese characters appeared on the side.  I wrote them an email asking if they were being hacked and got the reply that it's just the software.

I think a lot of packaged, prewritten, date subroutines that programmers and webpage creators use have the four digit year built-in because some uses might involve things like checking some financial issue in the 1900's.

But they should, by now have ones that only need two digits for the year.

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When I was dealing with the Social Security Administration online to get a new card during the pandemic and I tried to reenter some information, Chinese characters appeared on the side.  I wrote them an email asking if they were being hacked and got the reply that it's just the software.

If they are using a Chinese program they are being hacked. A friend’s daughter went to China for language/cultural studies. They asked the State Dept what precautions they should take with her laptop when she went. They told my friend to buy a cheap laptop for her and destroy it when she returned. The Chinese programmers can infiltrate chips on a motherboard. 
Our company hired some data engineers who were Russian nationals about the time the Ukraine invasion began. I really questioned that. I think they realized that was a bad idea and terminated their contracts when they did the mass layoff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

A lot of other countries go by day-month-year and a lot of the pre-packaged programming is written in places like China and sold all over the world.  When I was dealing with the Social Security Administration online to get a new card during the pandemic and I tried to reenter some information, Chinese characters appeared on the side.  I wrote them an email asking if they were being hacked and got the reply that it's just the software.

I think a lot of packaged, prewritten, date subroutines that programmers and webpage creators use have the four digit year built-in because some uses might involve things like checking some financial issue in the 1900's.

But they should, by now have ones that only need two digits for the year.

Don't get me started on foreigners. How about that decimal point, huh? It's a point! It's not a comma! If it was a comma, people would say, "naught, comma one."

• Like 1