USPS angers me

Dirtyhip

I got my vintage Wagner Ware cast iron pan.  It arrived with a broken handle.  This was a gorgeous vintage chicken pan.  I am so upset.

I can return it, but I have to pay shipping.  The pan is still salvageable. Everything else about this pan was pristine.  No pitting.  No chips. Not warped at all.  I think I will try some epoxy on the handle. I emailed the seller and asked for a discount.  I plan to keep it either way.

Seriously, I want to cry.  An old pan like this should not get tossed around like that.  

Box was fine on the outside. They used bubble wrap and newspaper, but clearly not enough of it.

If everything looked good, then I would blame the shipper/seller for the broken item. They should at least give you a little back, or should except the return with the shipping cost paid for.

Was a thing in the add written saying "not responsible for shipping problems"?

Cast iron can be welded but it is much easier to braze it.  You will have a small area at the repair that is brass color but it makes a good repair and the pan will be quite usable.

I think the brazing would also add character. I'm not into things that are perfect, especially old stuff. I like the scars (I call them memory marks), they tell stories and give something a history. That's why I choose to do preservations on some of my old bikes, not restorations. I like to keep their stories alive.

I asked the seller for $10 off.  That is a 25% discount on the pan.  I don't want to ruin the seller.  I just want what is fair.  I think 25% off for the missing handle end.  It busted at the loop.  Considering that I have seen this same pan for well over $150, We only paid $41 for it.

The pan is fine otherwise.  Just not a collectors item anymore.  The cooking surface is fantastic for a pan that is this old.

K suggested that he lop off the sharp end and file it.  I don't think I can lift the pan by using one of these handles anyway.  The pan is damn heavy, empty.  With food in it, It's a beast.

I plan to use it make my crusty bread.  It's like the perfect size and shape, and can handle a 500F oven.

Braze the handle back on.  It will take a guy with a torch and a brazing rod 5 minutes and you can use the thing as intended.

Let me help you out…..

B & B EQUIPMENT REPAIR & WLDNG
22929 HORSESHOE WAY
Klamath Falls
CUSHMAN MOBILE & SHOP FAB
4707 FRIEDA AVE
Klamath Falls
Diemax of Rochester
1555 Lyell Ave
LES'S TRUCK & TRAILER SVC
5103 ALTAMONT DR
Klamath Falls
LORAN LINDELL CONSTRUCTION
44949 ADAMS RD
Pendleton
Maximilian Motorsports
1983 Bishop Rd
Mighty Mike's Handyman Services LLC.
452 Scott St S.
Monmouth
Music Note Welding Llc
5447 Lockford Dr
Klamath Falls
Northwest Heating & Cooling Of Roseburg
568 NE Roseland Avenue
Roseburg
OLENE MACHINE
12952 HIGHWAY 140 E
Klamath Falls
RICK'S WELDING FABRICATING
5344 STURDIVANT AVE
Klamath Falls
  • Heart 3

Considering that I have seen this same pan for well over $150, We only paid $41 for it.

You paid $41 for it because the handle was broken, but weren't told. 

If there were no marks, dents, or other signs of abuse on the outside - and on the inside - of the box then I think it's pretty good chance the seller shipped a broken item hoping to blame it on the shipper.  What has he got to lose?  You've only asked for 25% discount on a pan that was worthless to him in the first place.

• Heart 2

You paid $41 for it because the handle was broken, but weren't told. 

If there were no marks, dents, or other signs of abuse on the outside - and on the inside - of the box then I think it's pretty good chance the seller shipped a broken item hoping to blame it on the shipper.  What has he got to lose?  You've only asked for 25% discount on a pan that was worthless to him in the first place.

The handle was all good in the picture.  I believe it was an honest mistake.  I get the pan for $31 now.  I'm not too bummed about it anymore.