Wordle for Sunday, 11/6 (Spoiler)

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

41 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Not that great. The possibilities are still State, Stake, Stage, stale, stave. 
I got 3/6. With State as my 2nd choice. 

But in my opinion, with a simple multiple word choice option as this one, you should feel just as successful with a 6/6 as a 2/6, because the solution is purely a 1 in 5 chance after STARE.  You get lucky, you pick the right one, right off the bat.  Unlucky and you might get a 6/6.  Intellect/deductive reasoning has nothing to do with it.  It's just pure, simple luck.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I almost used stale as my opening word. It's a shame i didn't. Should have gone with my first instinct. 

I hate when that happens.  So much so, I now try to always go with my first thought in a multiple choice scenario.  It might be the wrong choice, but at least I don't regret having passed over the correct answer.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I hate when that happens.  So much so, I now try to always go with my first thought in a multiple choice scenario.  It might be the wrong choice, but at least I don't regret having passed over the correct answer.

I went with my first guess for the next word and was stymied. My second guess was snot good because g is snot nearly as common as l. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I went with my first guess for the next word and was stymied. My second guess was snot good because g is snot nearly as common as l. 

When it is down to five possible words, the most commonly used letter factor is of no importance.  Wordle could randomly select any one of the five.  It's purely a one in five chance.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

When it is down to five possible words, the most commonly used letter factor is of no importance.  Wordle could randomly select any one of the five.  It's purely a one in five chance.

I'm not so sure aboot that.  Once it is down to one letter left, maybe.  But Wordle has a bias for common words which I would think use common letters.  We need a bookie for the real answer.  Here I went for what I thought was the most common word, State.

26 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I'm not so sure aboot that.  Once it is down to one letter left, maybe.  But Wordle has a bias for common words which I would think use common letters.  We need a bookie for the real answer.  Here I went for what I thought was the most common word, State.

If Wordle is selecting the words without bias, then from STA_E, STATE is no more likely to be the answer than STAVE.  Or STALE, or STAGE, or STAKE.  Why would Wordle care about which one has the most common letter in the fourth position?  

The most common letters are very useful to use in early guess selection when you have no or little idea what the word will be.  It makes sense to use L, N, R, S, T, and E to either identify their presence or to eliminate them.  But when it is down to only one letter difference in the possible answers, which word has the more used letter or which word is more common in the English language should be of no consequence.  As long as all the words in consideration are on the list, of course.