So, I was in NYC this past week

Olas Nah

I didn't see RG, but I asked people there if they'd seen him, and they said no. Maybe he is not as well known as I thought.

I did every touristy thing known to man plus more.

Saw the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bldg, Phantom of the Opera (not as great of a play as I thought it would be - shocker!), Museums, etc.

Rode in 10 different cabs, 2 of which were driven by former Blue Angels pilots, I've no doubt.

I wasn't sure if the subway cars and Amtrak trains into out of town weren't just suspended by cables, or if they ran on tracks.

I always liked mindlessly following chicks with great asses walking around Manhatten

and podering the imponderables like...

"Why is Madison Square Garden round?"

and

"how come subway trains in Brooklyn run above the ground?"

ther are many imponderable mysteries in the big city

cha-cha man has a tux and does ball room dancing to a boom box. The thing is that his "partner" is obviously an inflatable fuck doll with her feet taped to the top of his shoes

the act is hilarious

I didn't see RG, but I asked people there if they'd seen him, and they said no. Maybe he is not as well known as I thought.

I did every touristy thing known to man plus more.

Saw the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bldg, Phantom of the Opera (not as great of a play as I thought it would be - shocker!), Museums, etc.

Rode in 10 different cabs, 2 of which were driven by former Blue Angels pilots, I've no doubt.

I wasn't sure if the subway cars and Amtrak trains into out of town weren't just suspended by cables, or if they ran on tracks.

Ha, you missed out on buying me beers!  What you really needed, however, was some advice on the best use of time, which would have included avoiding the statue of liberty, 9/11 memorial, Rockefeller Center, Empire state building, and the Phantom of the Opera for starters.  What bet did you lose that you had to go to these things?

I always liked mindlessly following chicks with great asses walking around Manhattan

I do this all the time.  It is especially fun when walking up the subway stairs behind hotties in short skirts.

Btw, very few trains in Brooklyn go above ground for long.  I thought you should know this.

Ha, you missed out on buying me beers!  What you really needed, however, was some advice on the best use of time, which would have included avoiding the statue of liberty, 9/11 memorial, Rockefeller Center, Empire state building, and the Phantom of the Opera for starters.  What bet did you lose that you had to go to these things?

The only thing that took a ton of time was 'Phantom of the Opera'. You really can make the best of that show by just leaving after the first act. The music goes downhill after that and so does the story. I didn't get it. It was kinda small timey to me and not such a big production as I'd been made to believe. The stage wasn't very big and there were at most maybe 15 actors onstage during the largest scenes.

There were some interesting musical groups in some of the stations, but I admittedly avoided the subway. Cabs were definitely expensive, but not crazy expensive like I'd expected. For a short stay they were preferable.

Subways are generally easier and faster when there is traffic, and there is usually traffic.  

Btw, very few trains in Brooklyn go above ground for long. I thought you should know this.

no, I actually spent most of my time in the city in Manhatten contemplating why Columbus Circle is a triangle

Subways are generally easier and faster when there is traffic, and there is usually traffic.  

It was only bad for us when we tried to leave, of course. I think it took 2-1/2 hours to get to Morristown, NJ where we stayed our final night at a friend's house.

the one time you don't want to take the subway is the summer

it smells like rat piss and BO down in the subway in July

It smells like that all the time.  Yesterday when I was hung over, I noticed that my home subway station smelled like homeless people.  The entire station did, I walked around trying to avoid that smell, but I couldn't.

Btw...is it me, or does the new One WTC building just not look very tall? I know it sure is because it definitely seemed higher than the ESB and RC when I was up there.... but from the ground it just didn't seem particularly high. I wonder if the old twin towers seemed a bit more 'looming'

It is 1776 feet tall.  

Yeah I know that part, again it just doesn't seem particularly high when viewed from ground level.

Of interest to me while at the top of the Rock,,,you could feel the building swaying due to the wind. Didn't expect that bit....made the new wife want to head downstairs immediately. Of course I was right behind her.