A Father spends his life

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

As a member of that special group known collectively as "Fathers of Daughters", I say to you, "Well said, TK."

protecting, guiding, and nurturing his Daughter and in the space of a few moments he ‘gives her away’ to her Husband.  Just before he does, his Daughter looks up to him and says “I love you, Daddy!”

And his heart breaks…

Because the Father knows there are times he could have done more, or done some things differently, or done some things better.  And he knows damn well there were many, many times he was not at his best.  And now it seems too late - he feels he left too much undone and too much unsaid.

His Daughter turns from him and ascends the altar on the arm of her Husband.  The Father steps back now.  He becomes one of the many in the congregation to watch his Daughter and her husband exchange their vows.

And his heart breaks once more…

For the Father knows they will face difficulties, travails, anguish, and perhaps even misery and sorrow because the Father cannot impart to them all the hard lessons he learned.  For in this moment they begin their own lives and part of living means parents step to the side so the Daughter and her Husband can create their lives with each other.  In doing so they become Husband and Wife, and truly become Husband and Wife in part because the experiences they so dearly purchase bring them closer together.

The Father sees how his Daughter adores her Husband, and how he worships her, and the faith they have in each other that together they can build one life.  The Father leans on his faith in his Daughter – her resiliency, her determination, her intelligence – to believe she and her Husband will flourish in their marriage.  Then the Father places his faith in a Father far more powerful and gentler than he, and asks that Father to ever watch over his Daughter and her Husband to protect them, and to bless them with happiness.

Seeing the joy in his Daughter and her Husband and the strength of the devotion between them, the Father’s heart begins to mend.  Leaning on his faith that the greatest of Fathers will benevolently grant the silent petitions on behalf of his Daughter and her Husband, the Father’s heart mends yet more.

But it is a different heart from the one the Father possessed before he walked his Daughter down the aisle.  Is it more wise? More wistful or perhaps more tender? Even the Father cannot say, except he knows the mending bears his Daughter’s touch because she said “I love you, Daddy!”

Daughter3_zps4787670a.jpg

One Dad back to both...yup...my hearts gonna break when she goes forward...

The best we can do is love them...

• Heart 1

I have a great , well rehearsed, "If you make her cry, I'm gonna make you cry" speech in my back pocket

I had a good one if we ever do adopt a girl. "I was a fireman, will be a Murse, and worked as a wilderness Search and Rescue. I know how to dispose of a body, and I'm not afraid of blood."

• Heart 1

I have a great , well rehearsed, "If you make her cry, I'm gonna make you cry" speech in my back pocket

I had a good one if we ever do adopt a girl. "I was a fireman, will be a Murse, and worked as a wilderness Search and Rescue. I know how to dispose of a body, and I'm not afraid of blood."

12ga.   :)

protecting, guiding, and nurturing his Daughter and in the space of a few moments he ‘gives her away’ to her Husband.  Just before he does, his Daughter looks up to him and says “I love you, Daddy!”

And his heart breaks…

Because the Father knows there are times he could have done more, or done some things differently, or done some things better.  And he knows damn well there were many, many times he was not at his best.  And now it seems too late - he feels he left too much undone and too much unsaid.

His Daughter turns from him and ascends the altar on the arm of her Husband.  The Father steps back now.  He becomes one of the many in the congregation to watch his Daughter and her husband exchange their vows.

And his heart breaks once more…

For the Father knows they will face difficulties, travails, anguish, and perhaps even misery and sorrow because the Father cannot impart to them all the hard lessons he learned.  For in this moment they begin their own lives and part of living means parents step to the side so the Daughter and her Husband can create their lives with each other.  In doing so they become Husband and Wife, and truly become Husband and Wife in part because the experiences they so dearly purchase bring them closer together.

The Father sees how his Daughter adores her Husband, and how he worships her, and the faith they have in each other that together they can build one life.  The Father leans on his faith in his Daughter – her resiliency, her determination, her intelligence – to believe she and her Husband will flourish in their marriage.  Then the Father places his faith in a Father far more powerful and gentler than he, and asks that Father to ever watch over his Daughter and her Husband to protect them, and to bless them with happiness.

Seeing the joy in his Daughter and her Husband and the strength of the devotion between them, the Father’s heart begins to mend.  Leaning on his faith that the greatest of Fathers will benevolently grant the silent petitions on behalf of his Daughter and her Husband, the Father’s heart mends yet more.

But it is a different heart from the one the Father possessed before he walked his Daughter down the aisle.  Is it more wise? More wistful or perhaps more tender? Even the Father cannot say, except he knows the mending bears his Daughter’s touch because she said “I love you, Daddy!”

Daughter3_zps4787670a.jpg

Were you at my daughter's wedding, reading my mind?

Well said, good sir.

I don't have a daughter but I have a son who I feel the same way about. It hurts knowing I'll never be the father I should have been no matter how hard I tried.

You certainly have a great way with words and I'm sure your daughter knows how much you love her. Your post was the best thing I've read in a long time.

Crap,  Tadpoleus Krackatoa can use words as good as he can use pictures.  Us simpletons do not stand a chance.

Also, I would be willing to bet a pot of chili without beans, that ol' Tadpole is one KrackerJack of a father.

If you going to gamble with something, at least make it worth something - add beans.

• Heart 1

My baby girl turned 27 today, TK. I ran across this post early this morning and honestly, it made me cry. You're spot on! And that was beautifully written. So, I sent it to my daughter today and told her that what you'd written said much of what I felt on her wedding day 8 years ago. And how proud I am of her.

Congrats to you and to your daughter, TK. I wish for her marriage all the beauty and love that two can share.

You done good. :-)