Official Blizzard of 22 thread

BuffJim

This is a LOT of snow.   77 inches  :facepalm: 

Latest Saturday snowfall totals (past 48 hours)

Erie County

• Blasdell – 65 inches as of 8:26 p.m.
  • Orchard Park – 77 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Hamburg – 73.7 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • West Seneca – 49 inches as of 1:00 a.m.
  • Boston – 43.7 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Elma – 58.2 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Lancaster – 22 inches as of 10:15 a.m.
  • Wales – 42 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Eden – 41.7 inches as of 7:45 a.m.
  • East Aurora – 47.5 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Alden – 34 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Angola – 46 inches as of 8 a.m.
  • Colden – 37.8 inches as of 7:30 a.m.
  • Marilla – 37.5 inches as of 4:10 p.m.
  • Depew – 20 inches as of 11 a.m.
  • South Buffalo – 19.5 inches as of 7:30 a.m.
  • Cheektowaga – 28 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Springville – 13 inches as of 9:30 a.m.
  • North Buffalo – 22 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Kenmore – 9.4 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Amherst – 10.7 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Tonawanda – 3.3 inches as of 8:00 a.m.
  • Holland – 33.5 inches as of 10:30 a.m.
  • Sloan – 31 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Lackawanna – 31 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
  • Snyder – 29 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Glenwood – 27 inches as of 8:00 a.m.
  • Williamsville – 16.4 inches as of 8:00 a.m.
  • Harris Hill – 15 inches as of 9:00 a.m.
  • Awesome 1

I've been searching the web to find the coldest night temperatures tomato plants can survive.  All I've found basically say the same thing: "Frost will form at a temperature lower than 32 degrees Fahrenheit, which will cause the tomato plants and their fruits to perish" and "less than 50° results in mealy tomatoes."

My tomato plants have withstood 3 consecutive nites of 32°, 29°, and 31°F lows and look like the pics below taken today (11/19/22). This is an unusually warm Fall for us. They are getting a little mushy but still taste great, though the cherry tomatoes are still pretty crisp.  If they withstand the low of 24° forecast for Monday morning and the 7 hours under 28°, we're not forecast to see 32° or less until the 2nd week of December and I'll leave them on the vines.

20221119_141900_900p.jpg.9985cde690c1f470b53ae552d83bd3ec.jpg

There are still blossoms that don't seem to be wilting and a 5" Cherokee purple tomato, one of several - with a 1.5" Wapsipinicon Peach tomato - one of many - growing among leaves and branches that are beginning to wither.

20221119_142010.blossoms_crop_849p..thumb.jpg.edad80da116f1ce757e56c9991925825.jpg 20221119_141914_crop_900p.jpg.9d3d358e490210114cd5e4fb8ad1501a.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

6 1/2 feet of snow. WTF?

Last year we got 12 inches in one storm.  I had to plow the driveway (it's 150 feet long) twice.   The first time about 1/2 way thru the storm.  If I waited until its over I'm not sure the JD tractor and the 48" snow blade could push the snow.   And I had a place to push the snow.

6 1/2 feet  :frantics:   You probably can't open you door if it opens out.   There is no place for the snow, if you can get out.  Where TF would you put it?

They need end loaders and dump trucks and a about a week just to clear the roads. 

There are other concerns...

This much snow on a home (or business) that doesn't have a very steep roof, my get overloaded and collapse.  That's a LOT of weight.

Many new homes have the high efficiency furnaces. The air intake and exhaust in many cases is on the side of the home.  That would be burried under all of the snow.   That can't be good at all for the furnace, people, etc...  

If there are power outages... the utility won't be able to restore power.  One storm, we had to wait for the county to plow some roads before our trucks could even drive down the road.   6 1/2 feet... NOTHING is going to move for a while.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

“intake and exhaust in many cases is on the side of the home. That would be burred under all of the snow.   That can't be goodat all for the furnace, people, etc..”

yes, but it is something that is checked and cleared frequently. Also keeping at least a few passes up near the garage doors as clear as possible so the snow doesn’t fall in when getting the tractor out. 

you definitely cannot wait until it is over. 

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

“intake and exhaust in many cases is on the side of the home. That would be burred under all of the snow.   That can't be goodat all for the furnace, people, etc..”

yes, but it is something that is checked and cleared frequently.

I'd bet not too many people would even think of keeping the furnace intake and exhaust clear of snow.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd bet not too many people would even think of keeping the furnace intake and exhaust clear of snow.

Local media really pressed this point. Was also an issue in the 2014 Snowvember storm. So there is awareness. I heat solely with electric, so that’s not an issue. 

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

AD28B254-E47E-445E-A1D1-07EDFB996591.jpeg

That's only about 3 feet of snow.   

I'd just HATE to have to shovel 77 inches of snow.    I'm 6'3"  tall.  77 inches is 2 inches taller than me.  I'd have to shovel way above my head... and throw the snow a long way to make room for more snow as I shoveled. :frantics:

47 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That's only about 3 feet of snow.   

I'd just HATE to have to shovel 77 inches of snow.    I'm 6'3"  tall.  77 inches is 2 inches taller than me.  I'd have to shovel way above my head... and throw the snow a long way to make room for more snow as I shoveled. :frantics:

It compacts pretty quickly. So this picture could represent 5 or 6 feet before it settles in itself. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

It compacts pretty quickly. So this picture could represent 5 or 6 feet before it settles in itself. 

That would help.   But it sill would suck to shovel that much snow. 

When my old JD tractor dies, the snow blade can't be used on my new JD tractor.  After seeing this... I'm considering the snow blower for my JD. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

That would help.   But it sill would suck to shovel that much snow. 

When my old JD tractor dies, the snow blade can't be used on my new JD tractor.  After seeing this... I'm considering the snow blower for my JD. 

We have a snow blower for the JD 1025R

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 11/19/2022 at 3:13 PM, BuffJim said:

@Gump How did you do?  I saw Natural Bridge got 72 inches. Can’t remember how far that is from you. 

It’s about 12 miles from me. They got hammered. We ended up with around 24-30 yesterday and another 6 today. The current band is stretching all the way across NY.

• Heart 2

On 11/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, BuffJim said:

I’m in North Tonawanda. Halfway between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. We got the bulk of our snow between 6AM and Noon this morning when the band shifted north. 

I can't wait until you and Aire meet up for pizza at Mr Pizza! :nodhead:

• Awesome 1
  • Yum 1

Just now, Dottles said:

So what's the latest @BuffJim? Has it melted down to say 4 feet yet?  How are you guys doing now?  Are people still cut off?

Exactly! Has he run out of milk and bread yet? And have the ice cream sandwiches been brought inside to be eaten yet?  Has anyone gotten a thank you card???  WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly! Has he run out of milk and bread yet? And have the ice cream sandwiches been brought inside to be eaten yet?  Has anyone gotten a thank you card???  WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!

I'll tell you what is going on, the damn eskimos are teaching all the folks in the dystopian stormed-out land the many words they use for 'snow', then they taught them about eskimo hospitality and how offering your spouse to visitors is a good thing.  People are happier up there now that they know all this.

• Haha 1