Monday, what are you doing today?

Airehead

Too cool and breezy for outside work but the rest of the week looks good, so inside the house work and some shopping today.

My tomato plants, with thriving green leaves yesterday, look very wilted this morning after the first hard frost of the year last night.  The temperature is now above freezing and is expected to stay that way or close to it for a couple weeks.  If the plants don't recover, I'll be cleaning up the garden patch this week and storing the tomato cages and soaker hose (that I haven't had to use since July) and plan what's going in next year.

image.png.33573c4ff351537fb0cd158ba154d53d.png

• Heart 1

It’s cold outside, so probably go to the gym. Laundry and cleaning. I might get some writing done. The master bathroom tiling is supposed to continue today, including starting to build the shower floor. It takes a few days to lay and cure stages of concrete for a shower. 

• Heart 4

Working from home. The plumber is in the basement replacing the main shutoff valve as it’s old and leaking like a runny nose. Not to where there is a puddle underneath but a sign that it’s coming. Also replacing the shutoff valve to the front hose bib. The old one don’t want to turn and I don’t want a burst pipe in the crawl space. Later I’ll feed the sourdough starter and prepare to make sourdough sandwich bread tomorrow. After Thursday, we’ll need sandwich bread.

• Heart 4

Working today, going with WOChrisL tonight  to LAX to pick up her baby brother who is going to hang with us for a week.  Her dads bday is next weekend and her brothers are coming out to surprise him.  Wife & kids of WOChrisL’s baby brother will be in Atlanta so he said F it can I hang with you guys for the week?!?! Sure come on out!

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Gump said:

In the office today. They got about four feet of snow here in town so not many people in the office. Headed to Potsdam tomorrow. @BuffJimand @2Far know that town🙂

We sold my Mom’s house over the summer. 35 years of great memories. Now I’m not sure I’ll ever get back there again. It’s pretty much off the beaten path. When I go into the Adirondacks I’d go in from Watertown or Rome/Utica. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, BR46 said:

Got a call from the RV dealer....looks like they got hit with Catalytic converter theft over the weekend. The motorhome that we are going to look at is one of the ones hit.

Is it diesel?  Those "Cadillac" converters  are going for big monies. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, groupw said:

Splitting the workload from our terminated teammate. Appears there is a reason they chose him. We knew. Just surprising how bad it was until we saw what he wasn’t doing. 
Legs are feeling ok so we’ll see if I can run after work. 

3 times in my car I had to absorb someone’s full workload. All 3 times I barely noticed a blip in my workload. Makes you wonder. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, BuffJim said:

3 times in my car I had to absorb someone’s full workload. All 3 times I barely noticed a blip in my workload. Makes you wonder. 

Yep. A lot of his tickets were 5 minute fixes he never touched. A couple others he did all the work but never documented it. When I touched base with the original requester, the job had been done but I get credit for closing the ticket. Dumb ass! By the end of next week he should be behind us. The other guy and I can do the job without him, but we have no margin for error and we can only keep up if we don’t take days off. We both have PTO we need to burn so it will be interesting. 

• Sad 1

Went into office for work, my once/wk. time: 

• Changed a short presentation deck to use to open  meetings with 2 different parties on different days..to talk for about 10 min. Lay the groundwork for near future. Before rest of meeting agenda. Normally I don't do this. But it is to manage client near future expectations.
  • Then finished revising a guideline and posted it for team to comment within 4 days.  Then realized it meant another changing guideline. THis is getting ugly :  To heck, with this:  we can't do everything right away. <_<
  • Responded with my opinion online, to colleague's posted question in Teams channel.
  • Had 2 different impromptu virtual meetings where each person had to show me stuff. I gave some impressions, suggestions and encouragement. lst person had just taken 1 of my courses, so I could see she was integrating what she learned. I'm happy. :) 
  • Found/corrected some errors in a master document..will be released corporately. So I have to be perfect because people use it. (We can see automatic audit trail who and when they read the doc.) 
  • Drafted 70% an email for 100+ people in 2 wks. It will point to our latest revised standard to use.  Need to wait till boss returns from vacation NZ.
  • Email required me to summarize 46 change requests. Will have some links to docs...which some docs. have to be updated. :blink:
  • Booked online a course time for Jan. 2023. Wanted to get my instructor's choice of dates before colleagues pepper the Jan, schedule.

after work bought a water flosser on sale.  Oh yea, on my way to work...I mailed Christmas cards to each of my family members.  After all, I won't be there in person.

My life is so humdrum.:DeadHorse:

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

but we have no margin for error and we can only keep up if we don’t take days off

This, I would suggest, is not your concern but is properly the concern of your manager or management.

I think it's commendable that you are concerned about providing good service to your customers.  But I would also suggest that you didn't earn the extra work of absorbing the workload of another person but you have earned your PTO.

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

This, I would suggest, is not your concern but is properly the concern of your manager or management.

I think it's commendable that you are concerned about providing good service to your customers.  But I would also suggest that you didn't earn the extra work of absorbing the workload of another person but you have earned your PTO.

Oh we’ll take the PTO! We just know it means we’ll have extra work when we come back. Not much we can do about that. Our manager understands the situation and supports us. Just some realities to the situation. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, dinneR said:

I read way too many worthless emails. I think all messages should be delivered in the form of a singing telegram. This way if the message is important, you will pen the telegram. If it is not important(like most are not), you will STFU.

I gutted a few fish at my desk.

Then I helped Initech ship a few extra units.  

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1