What were you doing in 1972?

Airehead

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Back in those days, you had to wear your dress uniforms when entering and leaving the base, right?  I'll bet that was fun.  :)

For the first half of my navy career that was true and we all had memberships to "locker clubs" where we kept our civilian clothes.  That was if you didn't have a house ashore.  In the second half of my career Zumwalt was CNO and he allowed sailors to wear their working uniforms to and from work.  The old guard navy hated him.  He allowed us to have slightly longer hair.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

we all had memberships to "locker clubs" where we kept our civilian clothes.

I remember those establishments well.  Lots of them right outside the side gate to Norfolk Naval Base.  Those guys use to advertise a lot on local AM radio.  :)

They all disappeared overnight.   

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

For the first half of my navy career that was true and we all had memberships to "locker clubs" where we kept our civilian clothes.  That was if you didn't have a house ashore.  In the second half of my career Zumwalt was CNO and he allowed sailors to wear their working uniforms to and from work.  The old guard navy hated him.  He allowed us to have slightly longer hair.

I thought it odd to see soldiers traveling commercial flights in BDU’s.  Unless we lived off base or travelled between bases we couldn’t be off post in BDU’s.  Class A was the only uniform we could travel in but I usually travelled in civvies when coming home on leave.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I thought it odd to see soldiers traveling commercial flights in BDU’s.  Unless we lived off base or travelled between bases we couldn’t be off post in BDU’s.  Class A was the only uniform we could travel in but I usually travelled in civvies when coming home on leave.

All of that changed after my time.  We were never allowed to travel unless in Dress Uniforms.  The exception was to allow working dress to and from home off base only with no stops allowed at the store.  The Navy went through some uniform experiments though.  The camo stuff IMO replaced the undress blues and whites and even the dungarees in many cases.  Digital blues.

There is something new coming next.

• Heart 2

At the end of November, 1972, I was in the first semester of my college senior year at UMBC.  I was working my way through college, had a great research job in the Chemistry Department and a chemistry tutoring job in the department, where one of my students was organic chemistry student John Williams, former Baltimore Colt offensive lineman and Hall of Famer, who went back to college to so he could get into dental school.  He became a dentist and died 10 years ago at age 96.

I was also preparing to give my first talk about my research at the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington, D.C. and I was applying to IIT and several other colleges for graduate scholarships and teaching assistantships.

Also, I was voted the Student Union's unofficial "Big Man On Campus" that school year because I was the guy who met the booze truck on Tuesdays to take delivery of and store the Schlitz Beer, Boone's Farm Apple Wine, and soft drinks that were delivered for the school's dances.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

At the end of November, 1972, I was in the first semester of my college senior year at UMBC.  I was working my way through college, had a great research job in the Chemistry Department and a chemistry tutoring job in the department, where one of my students was organic chemistry student John Williams, former Baltimore Colt offensive lineman and Hall of Famer, who went back to college to so he could get into dental school.  He became a dentist and died 10 years ago at age 96.

I was also preparing to give my first talk about my research at the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington, D.C. and I was applying to IIT and several other colleges for graduate scholarships and teaching assistantships.

Also, I was voted the Student Union's unofficial "Big Man On Campus" that school year because I was the guy who met the booze truck on Tuesdays to take delivery of and store the Schlitz Beer, Boone's Farm Apple Wine, and soft drinks that were delivered for the school's dances.

We’re you able to be bribed for Boone’s Farm.