Thanksgiving dinner success / fail?

12string

Ours was a hit.  We brine the turkey before cooking and it was Devine.  My SIL made a great turkey in thanksgiving 2.0 but it wasn’t brined.  She cuts it before cooking & pulls the breast out & let’s the dark meat cook longer.

Sides were also a hit, desserts were store bought but I skipped them anyway.

• Heart 1

Ours was nice. BuffCarla was the ringleader and we probably had 50 or more items on the menu. Turkey almost all gone, greens gone, just a little leftover potatoes. But lots of desserts leftover. Yummm. BuffCarla’s friend got drunk and was a little crazy later on. Then slept 12 hours a day the next two days. She made it back to Atlanta yesterday. 

• Heart 4

It came out as planned. The ham and turkey slices were good. Sides were mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and asparagus were all good. No desserts because Wo7 is on keto and so7 was stuffed with mashed potatoes. I drank Irish whisky and don’t remember cleaning up, but I did a good job of it.  To comment on @maddmaxx post. LAJ is lactose intolerant. I must’ve forgot because one year I made cloverleaf rolls with milk and butter and mashed potatoes with milk and butter. He ate so much there was a blowout in the bathroom and we had to give him a pair of briefs and sweatpants to wear after taking a shower. I’m glad we sold that house. I never thought of it as clean again. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

It was small, but good. My smoked turkey and habanero cranberry sauce were hits. WoW made green bean casserole and raspberry cheesecake. Daughter brought the mashed potatoes, dressing and roasted brussel sprouts and a pumpkin pie. Nobody was hungry when they left and youngest daughter and her BF had to go to his family’s thanksgiving that evening. We had about 1/2 the turkey left, but we love it in sandwiches. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Son-in-law smoked the turkey, which turned out delicious. There were so many appetizers to nosh while waiting for dinner, and so many sides. But two are of note: an herbed cream cheese log with stripes of candied pecan, cranberry, and pineapple coating was so yummy, and a side of mushroom Bourgogne made a good addition to other sides like green beans and mashed potatoes. 

There were 18 people, so I had suggested we serve buffet style and then sit down at the table, but StD set the table for family style passing the serving bowls. It didn’t really work. Some of the food was in casserole pans and the slices of turkey were on a big tray that couldn’t be passed. There were people who have never eaten family style and didn’t know to pass to the left. Bowls were coming from all directions. The people at one end of the table started eating without passing the big tray of turkey or the potatoes or mac and cheese, and they didn’t know there was corn casserole because it hadn’t been passed down. We had to get up and reach over people to get a serving. 

Not sure how to think about dessert. StD made a trifle with a cognac soaked sponge. It was delicious, but too boozy for the kids to eat, too boozy for the guests who are maintaining sobriety, and left us missing the more traditional pies. So, a little of both success and fail. 

• Hugs 3

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Son-in-law smoked the turkey, which turned out delicious. There were so many appetizers to nosh while waiting for dinner, and so many sides. But two are of note: an herbed cream cheese log with stripes of candied pecan, cranberry, and pineapple coating was so yummy, and a side of mushroom Bourgogne made a good addition to other sides like green beans and mashed potatoes. 

There were 18 people, so I had suggested we serve buffet style and then sit down at the table, but StD set the table for family style passing the serving bowls. It didn’t really work. Some of the food was in casserole pans and the slices of turkey were on a big tray that couldn’t be passed. There were people who have never eaten family style and didn’t know to pass to the left. Bowls were coming from all directions. The people at one end of the table started eating without passing the big tray of turkey or the potatoes or mac and cheese, and they didn’t know there was corn casserole because it hadn’t been passed down. We had to get up and reach over people to get a serving. 

Not sure how to think about dessert. StD made a trifle with a cognac soaked sponge. It was delicious, but too boozy for the kids to eat, too boozy for the guests who are maintaining sobriety, and left us missing the more traditional pies. So, a little of both success and fail. 

You should read this https://www.bonappetit.com/story/ina-garten-thanksgiving-tips

Ina says buffet or bust

When she entertains, Garten always prefers a buffet. For one, she likes people seated very close together—it’s more convivial that way—which leaves little room in the middle of the table for platters of food. “And I find it more welcoming because people can choose what they want to eat and don’t want to eat.” But there’s an aesthetic component to the choice as well. “I don’t like to see all of those half-eaten dishes on the table. I just don’t,” she says.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

It came out as planned. The ham and turkey slices were good. Sides were mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and asparagus were all good. No desserts because Wo7 is on keto and so7 was stuffed with mashed potatoes. I drank Irish whisky and don’t remember cleaning up, but I did a good job of it.  To comment on @maddmaxx post. LAJ is lactose intolerant. I must’ve forgot because one year I made cloverleaf rolls with milk and butter and mashed potatoes with milk and butter. He ate so much there was a blowout in the bathroom and we had to give him a pair of briefs and sweatpants to wear after taking a shower. I’m glad we sold that house. I never thought of it as clean again. 

Did you disclose that event? :D

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Chris... said:

I had Covid so they took my turkey to the MIL.  She managed to overcook a brined turkey. I got the leftovers the next day. 

Wow that’s kinda hard to do. I mean you have to really try to dry out a brined bird.  Hmm 4 hours roast time, F’ it let’s do 8…

19 hours ago, 12string said:

Everyone's house still standing?  One less drunk uncle you're talking to anymore?

First time ever, all of the food was ready AT THE SAME TIME!  :hapydance:

Roasting the pumpkin made for a better filling, but letting the dough sit overnight was a fail.

The all-vegan side dish plan went off quite well.

My niece ran the show.  I run the clean-up.  It went off pretty smoothly and all the food was on time and ready to go.  Her one vegan dish was screwed up, but it was for her, so she was fine with it. Tons of food. 

• Heart 1