That is fast.

Digital_photog

30 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

New fiber internet installed.  CenturyLink ADSL  is leaving

ADSL speedtest 10.1 down 1.5 up

Fiber 234.1 down 98.7 up

What can I download that needs that speed?

streaming video.  For Hulu and platforms like that, you need a minimum of 25 Mbps down.  If you have multiple devices or users, you want more.

I run 250/250 at the office and about half that at home.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

7 of the 15 houses on our 3 mile road are not Amish.  We were paying $115 for the ADSL   The Fiber is $65

I just talked to Hugh’s net, they have a new plan that just became available with 100 gigs for only $179 a month plus a couple hundred more for the new modem. I think I’m going to become Amish.

We have six houses on our road that are not Amish, one is vacant and one is maybe a ninety year old lady. That leaves four who would possibly subscribe to cable it it was available.

• Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I just talked to Hugh’s net, they have a new plan that just became available with 100 gigs for only $179 a month plus a couple hundred more for the new modem. I think I’m going to become Amish.

We have six houses on our road that are not Amish, one is vacant and one is maybe a ninety year old lady. That leaves four who would possibly subscribe to cable it it was available.

How much is Starlink?

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

We got 300/300.  It was the slowest they had.

Started out with our current provider for around those speeds.Since then using some promotions I'm up to Gigabyte up/down and pay $64 a month. Trouble I have is how the house is wired copper cable from the junction box so I am limited to about 550Mbps. I have a tech coming out in a few weeks as I finally finished running Cat6a to my 10GB switch and every room in the house needing a direct backbone.

It's gonna be so sweet. My previous PFSense box only had a few 2.5GB ports, now I have 12 POE ports to run my entire infrastructure and some handy APs to deliver Wifi6 to the entire house.
/nerd rant

• Heart 2

18 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

New fiber internet installed.  CenturyLink ADSL  is leaving

ADSL speedtest 10.1 down 1.5 up

Fiber 234.1 down 98.7 up

What can I download that needs that speed?

Fiber is good.  Food that has 30 g of carbs and 10 g of fiber has only 20 net carbs.

Apparently it's good for light pulses, too.

I got the whole-nine-yards version of Verizon Fios "Triple Package," but wonder if I need it.  I pay $231.41 for unlimited phone, 900+ channels TV, and fastest-available Internet.

There are a bunch of things I've recorded on DVR and play them during the too many times there's nothing worth watching on 900 channels.  That, and the Internet speed are surely overkill, but cutting back wouldn't save me a whole lot because of the package discount.  Here's my ADSL test:

image.png.1cc8188ef52d1da776e4d7916e063154.png