So, what should I do with two boxes of DVDs?

MoseySusan

And a dvd player from 2nd Son’s tv room. 

Video streaming has replaced a lot of the need for the hard copy, and I don’t have a place to store two boxes in the house. They’d have to go into the crawl space where it gets super hot in summer, which would probably damage the disks. However, if he lost access to streaming services, he wouldn’t have the movies he likes anymore. I could help him purchase a cabinet, but the room is 10x10 and there’s no floor space. Or, I could get rid of his bongos, a ukulele, a recorder, and box of toys he doesn’t play with to make room. 

So, to keep or not to keep. 

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Start one of those Little Free Libraries and stock it with DVDs and books?

There’s one down the street… I could leave a few DVDs and the books that the used book store wouldn’t take. Hmm… a LFL stocked with all sorts of stuff 2nd Son isn’t using. Have this set of bongos, these videos, these books, these bobble heads, these four boxes of crayons and coloring pencils we had to replace every year in elementary school but never threw away, these single shoelaces, these mini soaps from the hotels…

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

There’s one down the street… I could leave a few DVDs and the books that the used book store wouldn’t take. Hmm… a LFL stocked with all sorts of stuff 2nd Son isn’t using. Have this set of bongos, these videos, these books, these bobble heads, these four boxes of crayons and coloring pencils we had to replace every year in elementary school but never threw away, these single shoelaces, these mini soaps from the hotels…

I think this is an awesome idea.  Maybe start a "regifting" LFL?  Or just drive around with a box of stuff in the back of your car and each time you pass a LFL, stop and add a little love, maybe with a note to take it if you need it.

• Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

@Razors Edge suggests that you take them out back and burn them in your burn barrel.

Good idea!  That definitely is the pro-active approach.  Win-win, for sure.

But, she could also purchase a CD/DVD binder, put the discs in there, and just burn the useless old cases.  Case Logic made these, but cheaper ones out there on Amazon. This one holds 400 discs for $22:

91GETuy+TjS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But, she could also purchase a CD/DVD binder, put the discs in there, and just burn the useless old cases.

The case has artwork, though. The back cover usually has the running time and year of release, which I find useful. 

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

The case has artwork, though. The back cover usually has the running time and year of release, which I find useful. 

Well, we can definitely make this more complicated than it needs to be :)  Many cases can have the art removed, and stored with the disc as well.  More so with CDs, but also DVDs.  Likewise, a disc-safe Sharpie could be used to have the run-time and date scribbled on the front of the disc.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, we can definitely make this more complicated than it needs to be :)  Many cases can have the art removed, and stored with the disc as well.  More so with CDs, but also DVDs.  Likewise, a disc-safe Sharpie could be used to have the run-time and date scribbled on the front of the disc.

Wouldn't it be easier to just burn them?  Toss them in with the tires so the thick black smoke hides the smoke from the discs.

Burn them. But differently, then I think the meme is of the day today.

Put them all on a single hard drive or disk now you have your own media. Buy one of those powered backup systems from Western Digital and connect the USB cable to the USB port on your router. Like this you now have the media available on your home network

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Put them all on a single hard drive or disk now you have your own media. Buy one of those powered backup systems from Western Digital and connect the USB cable to the USB port on your router. Like this you now have the media available on your home network

MY BIL, software developer and tech geek, has created digital libraries of all his hard-copy media. I don't know what he did with the disks, though. 

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Store them next to your cassette tapes, VHS tapes and 8 tracks.

And pull the vinyl out of storage, as it is coming back.

I gave all of our vinyl to the StD's first husband way back when they were married. So, that's been gone for awhile. We donated all the VHS tapes and the player after the video stores nearby closed. Cassette tapes went straight into the dumpster after the kids "made streamers" one day. But, I do have a large box of audio CDs in the closet. 

I found space on the existing shelves for his Disney movie collection and the DVDs we all most enjoy so that we can bring them in the van to watch when we take road trips. Stacks of random videos I bought to use in the classroom and various movies I bought from discount bins are boxed up and ready to donate. 

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Burn them and then really burn them!

But it doesn't solve her album art, etc. issue.