Comfort

Zealot

I really felt this.  

I feel the exact same way.  My truck is fairly minimalist (for this day and age).  Cloth seats, no heaters anywhere except the HVAC.  It does feel good for a bit.  But not something I want to live in too long.  I am usually happy when the heater starts to warm it up a little and I can start to see out of the windshield.  

We camped over thanksgiving and I love it.  I love being a little cool and uncomfortable.  When you leave the faar to pee in the woods and realize how cold it is out there.  But I am all too happy to get my ass back to the fire or go into the camper at night and sleep in the warm comfort of my mattress. 

Son's Jeep is in the shop so he has my pickup.  My wife and I are driving her car to work the past two days.  I pull it out of the garage.  No frost on the front.  Warms up quick.  Headed (and massaging seats) heated steering wheel.  Very nice smooth ride.  Quiet.  I like this too.  Not more than my pickup, just different.  It is good to have the best of both worlds. 

• Heart 3

I live and grew up in a warm place so my take on cold may be a bit different.  I think I would be most comfortable in temps over 60 degrees and not really happy sitting outside in temps in the 30’s.  But I have worked outside in VA/DC winters so have experienced it. Didn’t really care for it. Come to think of it I didn’t really enjoy the summers either.  😂

When we have a period of warm weather and then it cools off it does feel good to be a bit chilled but it’s not really cold. 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

The Jeep’s natural environment. It’s “safe space” if you will. I only speak from experience. The story behind the “Jeep wave” is that one Jeep passed another and said, I see your Jeep is running today, mine is too. Let us celebrate. And the drivers waved to each other and started a trend. 

Oh it runs.  Damn good actually.  It drives straight as an arrow.  But it gets the death wobble in the front end.  And the play/slop in the steering has gotten really bad.  I drove it the other day and I was appalled that I have been letting my 17 year old son drive it this way.  (Of course when I was 18 I had a 81 CJ7 that was even worse, but that is besides the point).

So it looks like the shop wants to put all new steering on it.  I just put one ton steering on the front end.  That stuff is still good.  But its just the drag link, tie rod and tie rod ends.  They want to replace it ALL since the steering is so bad.  I told them lets start with the steering hear box and pitman arm.  As well as a new track bar.  I don't see any reason to change out the setup that is less than a year old.  

But it's pretty bad when the mechanic (who only does jeeps) told me that he drives Jeeps with shitty steering every day, and this one is one of the worst that he has seen!

• Hugs 1

Death wobble is never fun. My son pulled the front axle to replace the shocks, coils, and stabilizers. He’s got beefy stabilizers but doesn’t have money for the shocks and coils he wants. So it sits. I may ask for a shopping list to see what it would take to get it moving again. 

3242838A-E6BE-4EF5-B7ED-F0E55B071C9D.jpeg

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I don't mind stints in the cold like Zealot described..., but when you spend 8 -10 hours at a time out in it, a little heat is nice on the tushy when you get in a vehicle, lol

And your brand of ‘cold’ is usually considerably colder than mine!  😊 I’ve always longed for the arctic/tundra. But my wife would not deal well with it. 

I’ve worked a few times in deep freeze environments (0 to -40). And they are downright COLD!  😃 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Cold is far better than too hot

Agreed. The older I get, the less well I deal with heat. And I sweat worse. That is very uncomfortable for me. My last solo cycling tour was miserable in that regard. I stayed wet. And developed some nasty fungus... 

Just now, Zealot said:

Agreed. The older I get, the less well I deal with heat. And I sweat worse. That is very uncomfortable for me. My last solo cycling tour was miserable in that regard. I stayed wet. And developed some nasty fungus... 

Actually, now that I think about it, my last solo backpacking trip was similar. 

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You know, if you're going to do it right, you need to take the Jeep down off those jacks and put it back up on cinder blocks.

Or maybe, better, take out the engine and turn it into a fire pit something like this:

Capture1.JPG.64daf05888345437cd373349e136f887.JPG

;)

I will share your thoughts with my son. I predict his responses will sound just like a member of the US Navy when the coffee’s gone dry. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I think we are products of our environment.  I prefer warm over cold.  I have lived in Texas or Oklahoma for all of my life, other than an alleged brief stint in Lafayette Indiana when I was a baby.  I do not remember anything about that.  On vacation, I would rather go sit on a beach or a boat where it is warm and wet than in a cabin in the woods where it is cold and snowy.  But to be fair, I have never been in  cabin in the woods where it is cold and snowy.  Just does not seem to be something I would like.

I do not mind camping in the cold and I camp every month of the year.   I will say it is easier to get warm in a tent in the cold than it is to get cool in a tent when it is 80 outside at night.  

Perhaps I need to plan to go somewhere cold and snowy sometime soon.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

@jsharr should go visit @Digital_photogon one of his winter camping trips with the sled dogs. The pictures look like fun; but that can be deceiving. 

Our Scout Troop sends a crew to Northern Tier in the Boundary Waters during the winter for Okpik.  Maybe I should go on one?

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

And your brand of ‘cold’ is usually considerably colder than mine!  😊 I’ve always longed for the arctic/tundra. But my wife would not deal well with it. 

I’ve worked a few times in deep freeze environments (0 to -40). And they are downright COLD!  😃 

I can remember boot camp and Corps school in Great Lakes.  It was just stupid cold.  One day they told us it was -86 (I am sure that was wind chill, etc.), but it was cold enough they cancelled classes.  There was a pool.  I went and swam laps because at the time I though I was training to be a seal.  I walked a couple hundred feet back to the barracks with my wet trunks in my gloved hand and when I got back onto the quarter deck of the barracks my swim trunks were frozen solid to my glove.   Had to pull the whole shebang into the shower running warm water on it to even get it off my hand. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

The Jeep’s natural environment. It’s “safe space” if you will. I only speak from experience. The story behind the “Jeep wave” is that one Jeep passed another and said, I see your Jeep is running today, mine is too. Let us celebrate. And the drivers waved to each other and started a trend. 

My brother uses a Jeep as his daily driver, and I have no idea why!  He is rich and single and he used to drive the apropos BMW.  I am confused. :D It recently stranded him on the way to visit our mother for TG. :( Well, actually he turned around and made it home but that sucked. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I can remember boot camp and Corps school in Great Lakes.  It was just stupid cold.  One day they told us it was -86 (I am sure that was wind chill, etc.), but it was cold enough they cancelled classes.  There was a pool.  I went and swam laps because at the time I though I was training to be a seal.  I walked a couple hundred feet back to the barracks with my wet trunks in my gloved hand and when I got back onto the quarter deck of the barracks my swim trunks were frozen solid to my glove.   Had to pull the whole shebang into the shower running warm water on it to even get it off my hand. 

I wintered once in Great Lakes.  When it got real cold we couldn't go to the mess to eat.

Hated it.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I rode my bike to work today. Temp was single digits, probably lower with the windchill. I am sure I will ski Sat, Sun, and Tue night. After a night ski, you have to throw on a down parka if you want to drink beer in the parking lot. I'll even bring extra socks.

GF likes to climb the ice

Lodging — Bozeman Ice Festival

that just looks sketchy AF. 

Found where I’d posted this quite a few years ago:

D55776CF-D632-4810-ACB9-8D05F946EE03.thumb.jpeg.522ddc972078eefd324f8107309caec9.jpeg

it was a glorious day. When my feet got cold, I sat on a log, took my boots and socks off and rubbed my feet until they warmed up a little!  Ha!

This was an early morning ride, 9 Deg F when I started. Warmed up to 14 by the end of the ride. Just me and a pack of coyotes on the trail:

C0B56ED5-2E16-4D62-B90F-2A6EA73AD6AC.thumb.jpeg.23e345ff9d458ae2c150b0cac210e81f.jpeg

And me at home snow bathing when my beard was still black. Was barefoot if I recall correctly:

60B94A24-FBDD-48C4-B35A-C8CFC7338B92.thumb.jpeg.b7b0587ab18595273aea4ed7162c0fb7.jpeg

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I think we are products of our environment.  I prefer warm over cold.  I have lived in Texas or Oklahoma for all of my life, other than an alleged brief stint in Lafayette Indiana when I was a baby.  I do not remember anything about that.  On vacation, I would rather go sit on a beach or a boat where it is warm and wet than in a cabin in the woods where it is cold and snowy.  But to be fair, I have never been in  cabin in the woods where it is cold and snowy.  Just does not seem to be something I would like.

I do not mind camping in the cold and I camp every month of the year.   I will say it is easier to get warm in a tent in the cold than it is to get cool in a tent when it is 80 outside at night.  

Perhaps I need to plan to go somewhere cold and snowy sometime soon.

To a degree I agree with you. But people acclimate. I was raised here in the mid-Atlantic. We get all four seasons, usually in pretty fair doses. But I’m drawn to winter.

i lived a few years in California in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Desert and chaparral. And they had two seasons - hot and zero rain from May to October and then rainy from October to April. Was in the 90s and low 100s with no humidity to speak of all summer. Really thought I’d hate it. But I came to enjoy it and had a great time. Coming back east was difficult. The humid summers were a bit debilitating. And the first winter back was cold and we had one of the heavier snow seasons on record.  😂 

We acclimate. 

8 hours ago, Zealot said:

We keep our house in the mid 60s in the winter.

I keep mine at 77° in the winter, mostly because I like it on the warm side, outside of my bedroom where I like it cool, and my rebuilt house is so well insulated and energy efficient it doesn't cost much to run around the house in shorts and a tee shirt as I like.