How to find the best airfares?

Gump

I saw a report on the news last night that if you were looking for deals to fly for the holidays, the best time to buy was 2 weeks ago....further, they said if you plan to get tickets, get them NOW because they're only getting more and more expensive each day from now until end of year.

I usually try Kayak and a couple different sites (you may try to clear your cookies between searches).  When I finally find the airline I think has the best combination of airfares/times etc.  I also go directly to that airline to check and will usually try to book directly on the airline's site. 

I usually try Kayak and a couple different sites (you may try to clear your cookies between searches).  When I finally find the airline I think has the best combination of airfares/times etc.  I also go directly to that airline to check and will usually try to book directly on the airline's site. 

I find a lot of my airfares come at a better price direct from the companies website. I, however, use Hipmunk.com to find the best fare first then go there, same as Kirby.

That is nuts!  My wife and daughters are always clearing their history and tossing their cookies when searching for flights.  Sheesh!