I am now in compliance with the County Health Dept!

MickinMD

The Health Dept., discovering a fairly rare rat problem several blocks away from me, sent "agents" (untrained 20 year olds, part time) to find every yard problem in our end of the county and nip it in the bud.  They couldn't come in the yards so they thought a black plastic bag of weeds was food garbage, which I quickly straightened out during a phone call to an inspector, and the complaint I got also said I had garbage cans with no lids - which disappeared during my house rebuilding and I hadn't gotten around to replacing.

I bought a 48 gal garbage can with wheels and lid last week - the County no longer provides them - and the County came out today and replaced the lid on my 65 gal. recycling bin - the County still provides them.  So I'm in compliance!  We have to put food garbage in the garbage bins in bags and recycling items not in bags.

The paper message on the recycling lid (enlarged below) says, "Recycle Everything Our Program Allows" - which isn't a lot!

20221205_110711_crop_900p.jpg.361d1b81d01614c6c1ed413a5afd36ce.jpg

20221205_111740_crop_900p.jpg.320d95394e6df858f5bdd8ac78a1cd5c.jpg

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

You can recycle more than us. We can only do 1 and 2 plastic. And many containers are 5, polypropylene. Although maybe it is the same since 1 and 2 are mostly plastic bottles. 

I was wondering how they inspected your kitchen!  

Kitchen?  Then didn't even really inspect my yard - the health dept. telling their "agents" not to enter yards!  They saw a black lawn bag that had pulled weeds, etc. inside and assumed it was food debris.

Funny, friends and relatives who don't live in my community wonder why the health dept made such a big deal about lids when they give away 30 gal recycling cans without lids and a lot of people have them without lids.