Friend's hubby got meningitis

shootingstar

she sent me a letter which I got today.  She is conservative Mennonite in the county where Rattlecan and I each grew up.  They don't use Internet. 

Her hubby contracted it back in Aug. On one hand I'm shocked but not really.  Certain sects of Mennonites avoid doctors and hence probably no vaccinations. However I am aware she has seen a doctor over the years for certain problems that got severe (which could have been avoided if she saw a doctor earlier).  

He is in recovery but needs rehab.  and is at home. Yes, he was quarantined, I believe and at a local hospital.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 4

57 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Scary stuff.  Hope he recovers fully and quickly.

He was /is partially paralyzed which now he needs rehab.  My good friend realized her hubby incredibly survived. 

Her hubby came from an Old Mennonite family, meaning the Mennonites who wear black and ride buggy-horse.  Even she had to get to used it.

She wears a white net over her hair bun and always knee length dresses of certain style and low shoes. She was my supervisor at K-mart. Our friendship grew from there. I was her wedding photographer. Have spent various occasions/dinner with her big family.  Several siblings have left the Mennonite fold, but she hasn't.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

Story:  They stayed with me in Toronto for 1 night. So anyway, I stepped out briefly to buy some small grocery in morning.  When I returned, I learned that they shared the shower together. I was amused.

They are childless couple but their love and affection is something to see. He helps with housework...which is not typical for conservative Mennonite men.

• Heart 4

I was very familiar with the Amish in SE Pennsylvania, but didn't realize there was a large Mennonite community in Western Maryland.

I found out in 2001 when I caught the connecting flight home to Baltimore from Detroit after I had flown to Detroit from Beijing - 12 hours and 32 min. in the air!

On the flight to Baltimore, a Mennonite Minister sat next to me. Apparently, plane travel was ok with him. He was returning from a missionary trip to sub-Saharan Africa.  We swapped stories about our respective trips on the 90 minute flight.  He went into details about how the boys in one tribe were circumcised in a big, public ritual around the age of 12 and he witnessed it.

As he spoke, there were a couple women seated in front of us who were making grimacing faces when he talked about the circumcisions!

That's my experience with a Mennonite and I enjoyed it!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I was very familiar with the Amish in SE Pennsylvania, but didn't realize there was a large Mennonite community in Western Maryland.

I found out in 2001 when I caught the connecting flight home to Baltimore from Detroit after I had flown to Detroit from Beijing - 12 hours and 32 min. in the air!

On the flight to Baltimore, a Mennonite Minister sat next to me. Apparently, plane travel was ok with him. He was returning from a missionary trip to sub-Saharan Africa.  We swapped stories about our respective trips on the 90 minute flight.  He went into details about how the boys in one tribe were circumcised in a big, public ritual around the age of 12 and he witnessed it.

As he spoke, there were a couple women seated in front of us who were making grimacing faces when he talked about the circumcisions!

That's my experience with a Mennonite and I enjoyed it!

Alta Schrock was from western MD. She was the first Mennonite woman to earn a PHD. biology I think.