What's the difference between walk & hike?

bikeman564™
Go to solution Solved by Parr8hed,

15 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

:dontknow:I see people on Strava post both. Is a hike in the woods, and a walk is not?:scratchhead:

"Outdoor walk" comes up first on my Apple Watch's Strava app, so I choose that regardless. On my phone's app, Hike is higher, so I often would choose that.  

IOW, I'm lazy and pick the easiest option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It worked on the milk topic, as everyone is now clear that milk comes from animals only, tacos are crunchy, and it isn't pizza if there isn't red sauce involved.

Take a hike, clown!  We don't have room for folks like you in this joint!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Where does a 'stroll' fit into this equation?

This is another place where magic pixie dust comes into play.  At some point in a stroll, the pixie dust magically converts it into a walk! But if you keep going, more (but better) pixie dust is sprinkled upon you and you're into a full blown hike!  Keep it up and a pixie dust cloud is encountered wherein an epic trek is now where your modest stroll has gotten you.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

This is another place where magic pixie dust comes into play.  At some point in a stroll, the pixie dust magically converts it into a walk! But if you keep going, more (but better) pixie dust is sprinkled upon you and you're into a full blown hike!  Keep it up and a pixie dust cloud is encountered wherein an epic trek is now where your modest stroll has gotten you.

I think a walk is more purpose-driven, whereas a stroll is more frivolous in nature, and may be less strictly defined at the outset.

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Level of exertion and/or technical difficulty...  Usually.

This was my reaction.  A hike is a more intense walk, and is typically on dirt because trails have different terrain/impediments that make it more difficult.  But I could consider a walk that goes all over San Francisco and takes most of the day, a "hike".

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

This was my reaction.  A hike is a more intense walk, and is typically on dirt because trails have different terrain/impediments that make it more difficult.  But I could consider a walk that goes all over San Francisco and takes most of the day, a "hike".

What?  WRONG!  

A hike always involves lack of pavement, and possibly bears.  A hard walk is still just a walk, no matter the pace.  Maybe the Australian 'walkabout' can span multiple surfaces, as they always are modest in their descriptions.

• Whatever 1

What?  WRONG!  

A hike always involves lack of pavement, and possibly bears.  A hard walk is still just a walk, no matter the pace.  Maybe the Australian 'walkabout' can span multiple surfaces, as they always are modest in their descriptions.

But a hike is literally always a walk.  Don't yell at Kirby. Yell at Venn!

• Hugs 1

Was there a possibility of death?  That makes it a hike if the answer is yes.

Anyway, WRONG!

I live with the fact that life hangs by an impossibly thin thread at all times. I fight the urge to execute my walks in a trudge like manner,

Mister Binary!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I agree with this but would add an unpaved trail or road for walking.

I would say that if you lived far away from big cities and you had well-maintained county roads, then that could constitute walking rather than hiking even if unpaved.   Uneven terrain coupled with lack of pavement makes it a hike, as does anything labeled a 'trail' rather than a road.

I think a walk could be a bit more spontaneous and unplanned.  "I am taking the dogs on a walk" vs we are going to go hike the Cedar Ridge Outer Loop on Saturday.  On a walk, you just go and come back.  On  a hike, you plan a location, a trail, you take some basic gear, maybe a day pack with water, first aid kit, etc.  

43 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Was there a possibility of death?  That makes it a hike if the answer is yes.

walking around San Francisco certainly involves the possibility of death! So by your logic, it is a hike.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would say that if you lived far away from big cities and you had well-maintained county roads, then that could constitute walking rather than hiking even if unpaved.   Uneven terrain coupled with lack of pavement makes it a hike, as does anything labeled a 'trail' rather than a road.

The Airline trail that I both walk and bike is a hardpack relatively flat trail.  

Just now, Kirby said:

walking around San Francisco certainly involves the possibility of death! So by your logic, it is a hike.

WRONG again!  It is all paved, so it is a walk.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I think a walk could be a bit more spontaneous and unplanned.  "I am taking the dogs on a walk" vs we are going to go hike the Cedar Ridge Outer Loop on Saturday.  On a walk, you just go and come back.  On  a hike, you plan a location, a trail, you take some basic gear, maybe a day pack with water, first aid kit, etc.  

WRONG!  You could go to a trailhead and have the possibility of intersecting trails, of which you could take any path and still be hiking.  You might have provisions, but only if you think you might be hiking long enough.  A walk could be spontaneous and unplanned, you are correct there.  Going for a walk or a hike implies that you will be home at some point, unless you are mauled by bears or die of hypothermia, and a walk implies the near certainty of being shot, stabbed, or abducted to death, as long as PRI doesn't get you first.

WRONG again!  It is all paved, so it is a walk.

WRONG!  You could go to a trailhead and have the possibility of intersecting trails, of which you could take any path and still be hiking.  You might have provisions, but only if you think you might be hiking long enough.  A walk could be spontaneous and unplanned, you are correct there.  Going for a walk or a hike implies that you will be home at some point, unless you are mauled by bears or die of hypothermia, and a walk implies the near certainty of being shot, stabbed, or abducted to death, as long as PRI doesn't get you first.

You have so many opinions that you should have more than one asshole.

• Haha 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

No, but that didn't stop the powers that be from naming it a trail as are most rail to trails.

Hmm, rails to trails means more biking to me than anything else.  Anyway, it could be a trail for biking but not for hiking, more like a path.  Paths seem ill-defined at the moment, don't they?

Sashaying would imply some sort of joy or happiness, whereas a mosey can be lazy.  Meandering could have a bit of lazy included, but seems more aimless in a way.

Sashay is just an expectant, excited mosey.   I think cats that want something you have are likely to sashay. 

I've always considered a hike to be on an unpaved trail and usually a little more physically demanding in terms of hills and slippery slopes.

There is a very, hilly 3 mile paved trail that circles a public park 10 miles from me where a farm was given or sold to the County and is now a demonstration farm run by the local 4H Club.  The park also includes a large public sports complex and there are a lot of white tail deer in the woodsy areas, though they're not as visible since the pandemic.

It's a fun hour's walk though too hilly to be done if you haven't been doing a lot of recent walking.  There are also a couple, mile-long, hilly, unpaved trails, mostly used by mountain bikers, that loop off and back to the paved trail.  If I walk the unpaved trails, then I'm hiking!