update on my Aunt and the card with flowers

SamWithCheese

find out where she lives and drop by the house

drop by over Thanksgiving weekend. Not Thanksgiving Day, she'll think you are just out for some free turkey. But if you don't think she is out black Friday bargain hunting, Friday or Saturday of that weekend is still officially Family Time

take her a pumpkin roll

they taste better than olive branches ;)

• Like 1

Don't be afraid of baby steps.  She knows you’re trying to reach out to her.  She may be afraid to try to contact you.  After so much time, she may be afraid she wouldn’t know what to say to you.  The risk of extending your hand is that it may not be grasped.  Don't take it personally.  Give it a couple weeks to let some water flow under the bridge and try again.  Hanukkah is approaching, send her some nice candles.

• Like 1

I appreciate the good advice, but I don't think it will work. She was mean and not a part of my life even when we still had Dad. I tried the gesture because I felt that's what Dad would want.

I just wanted 1 hug, that's all. No long discussions, no emotional reunions, promises, etc. Just go in at her work (the safest, most neutral place for both of us) and a quick hug from my Dad's little Sis. Someone who knew him as a kid and all his life.

I meant it as a friendship gesture for her but the truth is I needed the hug the most.

My chance may come someday when/if she needs help when she's older. Out of respect for Dad, I'll be there.

Mr. Silly, please give me a hug. :(

you might just let it go

if you never had a relationship in the past, and don't see building one in the present as being very realistic, then let her be. Some people just don't like family. My dad's people are like that. I only know my dad's brother Gordon's family, Bob , Tom, and JoAnn. We don't even know what sort of medical history the family has. We'll just have to let it be a surprise I guess

But my mom's people, they were Irish and a big family. Up until my generation, everybody even all lived in the same neighborhood. But even in mom's family, there's folks who want to find a reason not to have to drive back to Harrisburg so they start some beef with somebody.

If everybody is still alive, you still have a chance to turn things around, but some people just don't want to have anything to do with family