Great lunch

Parsnip Totin Jack

Last night I roasted an acorn squash with olive oil, garlic cloves,salt, pepper and rosemary.  Drizzled a little balsamic vinegar after it came out of the oven.  I also roasted a small head of cauliflower with olive oil, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and thyme.  For lunch I combined equal parts squash and cauliflower and added some chopped roasted poblano pepper.  Delicious.  On the side I had a salad of romaine, spinach, broccoli, celery and radish with a home-made ranch dressing.

What's in your lunch today?

• Heart 2

Last night I roasted an acorn squash with olive oil, garlic cloves,salt, pepper and rosemary.  Drizzled a little balsamic vinegar after it came out of the oven.  I also roasted a small head of cauliflower with olive oil, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and thyme.  For lunch I combined equal parts squash and cauliflower and added some chopped roasted poblano pepper.  Delicious.  On the side I had a salad of romaine, spinach, broccoli, celery and radish with a home-made ranch dressing.

What's in your lunch today?

It's just lunch.  That's a lot of work.  Grab a PB&J and get on with life.

I love acorn squash - baked with maple syrup.  Yummmmm!

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell are funeral beans?

lmgtfy!

funeral-beans.gif

Funeral Beans Recipe
© Denzil Green

A classic North American 1950s dish to make and take to feed a crowd at gatherings. It was dubbed "Funeral Beans" because it was a stand-by crowd-pleaser for gatherings after funerals. Tastes amazing with the pineapple in it. And even though it's made by assembling store-bought stuff, owing to the variety of beans in it no one will think you just "opened a tin." It definitely looks homemade.

Number of servings: About 10 cups (2.5 litres)

Estimated Prep Time: 20 minutes

Estimated Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Cooking at: 350 F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4

Ingredients

Directions
Fry bacon until crisp in a frying pan. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add the onion, fry until tender.

Mix everything together either in an ovenproof casserole dish or in the crock of a slow cooker.

Bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours, or on low in a slow cooker for 2 to 4 hours.

Stir once or twice while baking.

Comments

1/2 cup of chopped bacon is 3 to 4 slices before chopping. Tip: kitchen scissors make quick work of this.

1 cup onion is about 1 good-sized onion before chopping.

Drain and rinse the kidney beans and chick peas; chuck the pineapple in undrained.

Use whatever flavour of canned baked beans you prefer. 4 cups is 1 quart / 32 oz / 1 litre. That'll be 2 or 3 tins, depending on the tin sizes available where you are (2 x 14oz tins will do it.) Don't drain these, tip them in with their sauce.

For the mustard, you can use either dry, or prepared.

Nutrition Notes

7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® per cup (250 ml.)

There are 65 points in total based on using canned baked beans that are 9 points a cup.