It was an awkward moment

KrAzY

Well that was a fully awkward moment tonight at a Cub Scout Leaders meeting. 

There were 10 of os there and everyone was drinking wine while I was the only one drinking a beer....... I knew I was the redneck of the group, but holy crap... These people would not survive in the wilderness for two days... 

I was talking about camping a days hike away from a spot they camp at... something more wilderness like then 100 feet from the parking lot they are used to... I got shot some strange looks about teaching the kids about wilderness safety. 

I'm talking about teaching kids about real honest camping... they are talking cabins, pizza, and geo tag scavenger hunts... WTF??? 

Some of these scouts have been doing this for a few years, and they have not slept in tents???

This shit is gonna change, and the scout leaders will not be wearing their fancy wingtip shoes this time around! 

I would but I just had a text from my wife. Her boss is the head leaders wife. I guess she was boasting to my wife about me being able to bring new talents into the group that they never had before. She was talking me up saying how great I am going to be and how it is only her husband and I running the place now...

WTF have I gotten myself into....

• Heart 2

I would but I just had a text from my wife. Her boss is the head leaders wife. I guess she was boasting to my wife about me being able to bring new talents into the group that they never had before. She was talking me up saying how great I am going to be and how it is only her husband and I running the place now...

WTF have I gotten myself into....

Like pounding tent stakes into the soft forest floor?  Starting a small pile of tinder with a Bic Lighter?  Putting a hot dog on a stick and holding it over an open fire?  All good stuff for them to know.  

Don't learn 'em up to fast there OutdoorMan.   :)  

Like pounding tent stakes into the soft forest floor?  Starting a small pile of tinder with a Bic Lighter?  Putting a hot dog on a stick and holding it over an open fire?  All good stuff for them to know.  

Don't learn 'em up to fast there OutdoorMan.   :)  

hot dog, and such... yup....

Fire starting with bic? nope... going to teach them bow and tender method

Pounding tent stakes.... I bet their parents never have done it either.

I will teach them lots! 

We tent camp at BSA owned facilities.  Not roughing it and we do "car camp" to an extent, but transitioning Ryan over to backpack camping.  One bag for all your gear, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.

The tent goes on my pack.

Here is Ryan setting up our tent in the dark at our last camp out.  He had to set up the tent by himself for a Webelos requirement.  He did a great job.  He could have had my assistance, but he wanted to do it himself.  All I helped with was getting the tent poles into the grommets.

10688386_10204021291224932_7993834177723

• Heart 2

hot dog, and such... yup....

Fire starting with bic? nope... going to teach them bow and tender method

Pounding tent stakes.... I bet their parents never have done it either.

I will teach them lots! 

That is pretty cool.  I have never done that.  I have a mag flint in my first aid kit.  

I'm not as cool as you are.  :)

In full transparency, on our last campout, we did not rough it too much.  One of our leaders is from France and makes tile lined, wood fired ovens for a living.  He has one on a trailer.  He brought it to this campout and we had wood fired pizza for dinner on Saturday and wood fired sweet rolls for breakfast on Sunday.  Below is a picture of his trailer oven at another event.

Bastille_on_Bishop_Trailer_70582791-caee

• Heart 1

That is pretty cool.  I have never done that.  I have a mag flint in my first aid kit.  

I'm not as cool as you are.  :)

you could also carry a 9v battery and some steel wool, or just a magnifying glass like I do.  I have had one of the mag flits and I'm not a fan of them. They are more difficult to use then you think they would be. plus they really dull a knife. 

I want to teach the kids how to set snares, survival fish, and also small game hunt incase they need to. 

Shelter is the first and for most they need to learn.. without out a shelter inlace in the first 3 hours, it could result in death, food and water is next. 

I had the opportunity to learn from some great people over my years. Our SAR team was left in the woods for a week to survive off the land, all they let us have was our daypacks we carried on our missions. 

In full transparency, on our last campout, we did not rough it too much.  One of our leaders is from France and makes tile lined, wood fired ovens for a living.  He has one on a trailer.  He brought it to this campout and we had wood fired pizza for dinner on Saturday and wood fired sweet rolls for breakfast on Sunday.  Below is a picture of his trailer oven at another event.

Bastille_on_Bishop_Trailer_70582791-caee

I want one of those. That thing is way freaking cool.