Remember that stupid pledge?

Randomguy

Especially since some who signed the pledge were the very ones who thought making lewd comments and denigrating a woman, who was merely walking on public streets, was okay; even implying that she was asking for it.    :(

I don't recall anyone saying it was ok, or even implying it.  She clearly created the most ideal conditions that were possible for black people to comment and say nice things to her, and a couple to be creepy.

The pledge was stupid, though.

Especially since some who signed the pledge were the very ones who thought making lewd comments and denigrating a woman, who was merely walking on public streets, was okay; even implying that she was asking for it.    :(

That thread was very thought provoking and made me at least, stop and think.  I do try to moderate what I post better now due to that.  

• Heart 1

Nope.

Yes.

I was watching a movie that had boobs in it.  I thought to myself "I like boobs".  Some bastard society member from the most repressing swamp is going to say "No, you are wrong, this movie is sexist, and the filmmaker, actresses and actors, writers, camera operators, distributors, audience and everybody else who even knew about this movie are the worst kind of people, worse even than bell-ringers, and I am going to do all in my power to villify whatever thoughts you have about boobs, because you are a man exploiting chicks".  Pretty soon, you are ashamed of your own thoughts, because you are standing in line at the grocery store thinking about how you would like to do biological acts in that chicks pants in front of you in line, and holy shit, you can't have that!  Perish the thought!

Yes.

I was watching a movie that had boobs in it.  I thought to myself "I like boobs".  Some bastard society member from the most repressing swamp is going to say "No, you are wrong, this movie is sexist, and the filmmaker, actresses and actors, writers, camera operators, distributors, audience and everybody else who even knew about this movie are the worst kind of people, worse even than bell-ringers, and I am going to do all in my power to villify whatever thoughts you have about boobs, because you are a man exploiting chicks".  Pretty soon, you are ashamed of your own thoughts, because you are standing in line at the grocery store thinking about how you would like to do biological acts in that chicks pants in front of you in line, and holy shit, you can't have that!  Perish the thought!

Furthermore, I am going to have those thoughts, and I am going to enjoy those thoughts, and I am going to objectify the hell out of that piece of ass in front of me because that is what people do to people they don't personally know.  We are programmed to be that way, EVERY PERSON THAT EVER LIVED IS PROGRAMMED THAT WAY.   I am not going to apologize for it, ever.

"Oh, RG is being a sexist bastard, I better perform some sort of public tsk, tsk, tsk manuever so people will at least think I am not thinking like a human, rather some neutered version of a human that used to resemble a male of some species, but is not apparent now.  What bullshit! 

Ever walk down the street and a chick stares at your crotch as you pass?  Congratulations, you have been victiminized by a sexist bastard chick, and we should shame the fuck out of her for digging penis or looking at a penis outlined in pants or some dude's ass or arms or shoulders or any damn thing else she pleases, BECAUSE SHE IS A SEXIST BASTARD.  I am glad that chick has an interest, why the hell shouldn't she objectify whoever she wants?

I am not gonna participate in neutering men or women or deal with PC platitudes.

Yes.

You can blame me, I guess.  I think I made the initial suggestion.  But it wasn't, in my mind at least, meant to be a ban on all sexual content, but just to show some restraint in our sexist ways and to show a little more respect for our female members in an effort to make the forum a little more female friendly.  Maybe it was misguided, but I thought it might be helpful to have a formal pledge to remind us to not be so piggy all the time, rather than just to make the usual self-serving statements that we always do that we need to tone it down if we want the women to participate more.

For me personally, this did not mean that we should delete the bikini thread or the yoga pants thread.  I think anyone going into one of those threads knows what to expect.  My own concern was more about how we communicate in daily conversation and whether some of us might be overdoing the sexist prick stuff to the point of being excessively offensive.

Unfortunately, everyone's idea of bad taste is different, so even with good intentions, it's hard to decide what is inappropriate sometimes.   :(  

Unfortunately, everyone's idea of bad taste is different, so even with good intentions, it's hard to decide what is inappropriate sometimes.   :(  

Well, you can't let the most repressive decide, then you have McCarthyism all over again.  The problem with society is that it is often the very worst types that are trying to stifle free thought rather than letting a society evolve and find its own way.

The things I think would be most offensive to chicks is the "Go make me a sammich" comments.  I know the commenters are joking when they say things like that, but it could be taken the wrong way by folks that don't know the person posting.

Gawd....I couldn't get through this thread. I tried. I really did try. But my eyes started to cross and my nose started to run.

Ya know...there are things called manners, civility, common courtesy, respect and a few others that I really don't need to list. Apply them to your life, and take these stupid pledges and your political correctness and stick both into your ear.

Now...the above was not nor will it ever be intended to be applied to any of the fine folks here at SW Forums....just saying that I cannot abide by some jackass telling me what to think, how to act,etc. Dad took care of that. Not you, ya freak.

• Heart 1

December has been a bit busy so I missed the pledge thread when it first showed up. I didn't see it until this evening, when I ran a search for it.

I can appreciate the idea behind the pledge, but I'm also a bit uneasy with it. What does it say about my own integrity if I need a public pledge to hold myself accountable? Treating others with courtesy and respect at all times is something I consider a core value. Adhering to this value should come as naturally as breathing. If it's a genuine problem area, then it's time for me to get some help.