Jump to content

Bills game suspended


BuffJim

Recommended Posts



Two reports not sure if they’re saying the same thing:

 

From his agent: Update on Damar:

His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests. 

We will provide updates as we have them.

65D0BBE8-0C9A-4D53-8220-5BE64F74833F.jpeg

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here it is.  I didn't see it myself so I googled it.  The hit isn't horrible or gruesome but it reminds us all just how fragile the human body can be.  I don't want to be disrespectful by posting it but after reading several articles on it, I thought it was safe enough to view.  Scary, thoughts, and prayers.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bills released a statement that CPR was given successfully on the field to Damar Hamlin.

Before that, Doctors on CNN were saying his body, being young and in great shape, should recover but the time elapsed before his heart was re-started was critical, so this is good news.

The Doctors were also saying that the heart stoppage was due to a sharp bang in the chest.

Meanwhile, far-right trolls are trying to say it's due to getting the COVID vaccination, trying to turn Americans against each other like modern-day Axis Sally's and Tokyo Rose's.  Of course, 95% of NFL players are vaccinated and this hasn't happened to anyone else in the past two years, not to mention the negligible effects on the general population compared to the benefits.

I was in a fantasy league championship game where I was losing but the last player for either team, Ja'Marr Chase WR CIN, could have potentially pulled it out for me.

So I lose - the NFL game won't be rescheduled since there's no time - and it may have an effect on the Bills getting the #1 playoff seed and 1st round bye as well as deny the Ravens a chance to beat Cincy a 2nd time and claim the AFC North title, but that's no big deal compared to Hamlin.  I hope he recovers and is deemed fit enough heart-wise to play again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Meanwhile, far-right trolls are trying to say it's due to getting the COVID vaccination, trying to turn Americans against each other like modern-day Axis Sally's and Tokyo Rose's.  Of course, 95% of NFL players are vaccinated and this hasn't happened to anyone else in the past two years, not to mention the negligible effects on the general population compared to the benefits.

Can that be ruled out though?  It's happened to many European football (soccer) players.  I've not really heard one way or another.  They may be trolling but they also could be right. My doctor did acknowledge that it does happen to younger men.

  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The Bills released a statement that CPR was given successfully on the field to Damar Hamlin.

Before that, Doctors on CNN were saying his body, being young and in great shape, should recover but the time elapsed before his heart was re-started was critical, so this is good news.

The Doctors were also saying that the heart stoppage was due to a sharp bang in the chest.

Meanwhile, far-right trolls are trying to say it's due to getting the COVID vaccination, trying to turn Americans against each other like modern-day Axis Sally's and Tokyo Rose's.  Of course, 95% of NFL players are vaccinated and this hasn't happened to anyone else in the past two years, not to mention the negligible effects on the general population compared to the benefits.

I was in a fantasy league championship game where I was losing but the last player for either team, Ja'Marr Chase WR CIN, could have potentially pulled it out for me.

So I lose - the NFL game won't be rescheduled since there's no time - and it may have an effect on the Bills getting the #1 playoff seed and 1st round bye as well as deny the Ravens a chance to beat Cincy a 2nd time and claim the AFC North title, but that's no big deal compared to Hamlin.  I hope he recovers and is deemed fit enough heart-wise to play again.

 

 

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Can that be ruled out though?  It's happened to many European football (soccer) players.  I've not really heard one way or another.  They may be trolling but they also could be right. My doctor did acknowledge that it does happen to younger men.

Right.  I mean when I first read people talking about the vaccine I thought that was stupid.  But it's not completely unreasonable.  

Regardless, it's tragic.  This is the very thing that could have happened to Griffin had we not had his congenital abnormality repaired when we did.  Makes you wonder if the young man had some sort of anomaly that went undetected for years and just manifested itself.   

  • Heart 2
  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just kinda watching, scrolling through my phone.  Had the volume down on the TV.  There had been a couple of minor injuries on Bill's players that briefly stopped the game.  I was a little annoyed when the play was stopped, thinking it was something minor.  Then they panned to Josh's horrified looking face on the sidelines.  I knew it was something bad.  But not seeing the initial play I was thinking some sort of grotesque fracture.  Wasn't even thinkin CPR.

His poor family that was in attendance and had to watch that.  Also the fans.  Not only did many of them take time off work tomorrow, spend money on tickets, etc.... but they had to watch that whole scene unfold.  Horrible situation. 

  • Hugs 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Explanation from a sports med doc about what most likely happened. 

 

Unless proven otherwise, this is what I think happened. The people dying suddenly from vaccine causes, generally didn’t have a major trauma preceding it. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Right.  I mean when I first read people talking about the vaccine I thought that was stupid.  But it's not completely unreasonable.  

It’s unreasonable when you consider how much greater the risk of myocarditis is from getting Covid without the vaccination (11 times higher, overall).

There is an NHL hockey player who got myocarditis after refusing vaccinations, fortunately he’s back playing this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s unreasonable when you consider how much greater the risk of myocarditis is from getting Covid without the vaccination (11 times higher, overall).

There is an NHL hockey player who got myocarditis after refusing vaccinations, fortunately he’s back playing this season.

Agree.  My first thought was myocarditis or congenital heart disease.  I know that there has been concern about myocarditis following covid vaccination, but I don't know all the stats.  I have not followed it that closely.  

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Explanation from a sports med doc about what most likely happened. 

 

It’s referenced in the clip but I have heard of youth baseball players going into cardiac arrest after taking a ball to the chest.  Seems like a similar thing.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The Bills released a statement that CPR was given successfully on the field to Damar Hamlin.

Before that, Doctors on CNN were saying his body, being young and in great shape, should recover but the time elapsed before his heart was re-started was critical, so this is good news.

The Doctors were also saying that the heart stoppage was due to a sharp bang in the chest.

Meanwhile, far-right trolls are trying to say it's due to getting the COVID vaccination, trying to turn Americans against each other like modern-day Axis Sally's and Tokyo Rose's.  Of course, 95% of NFL players are vaccinated and this hasn't happened to anyone else in the past two years, not to mention the negligible effects on the general population compared to the benefits.

I was in a fantasy league championship game where I was losing but the last player for either team, Ja'Marr Chase WR CIN, could have potentially pulled it out for me.

So I lose - the NFL game won't be rescheduled since there's no time - and it may have an effect on the Bills getting the #1 playoff seed and 1st round bye as well as deny the Ravens a chance to beat Cincy a 2nd time and claim the AFC North title, but that's no big deal compared to Hamlin.  I hope he recovers and is deemed fit enough heart-wise to play again.

 

those "far right" trolls are most likely Russian or Chinese.  Just so you know.  Not that we need to politicize this.  We can only be divided if we want to be.  I have to caution my sons on this all the time.  If you read a news story look at the date and source and then do some googling to learn more about the situation.  

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

those "far right" trolls are most likely Russian or Chinese.  Just so you know.  Not that we need to politicize this.  We can only be divided if we want to be.  I have to caution my sons on this all the time.  If you read a news story look at the date and source and then do some googling to learn more about the situation.  

VERY good comment.  The root is often elsewhere, but relies on amplification by folks as well. :(

It is good to remember that folks seems inordinately worried about being tracked or scammed/phished, but don't realize that's happening across many other areas as well.

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

VERY good comment.  The root is often elsewhere, but relies on amplification by folks as well. :(

It is good to remember that folks seems inordinately worried about being tracked or scammed/phished, but don't realize that's happening across many other areas as well.

So we can discuss politics here?

Good to know.  

Couch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Docs seem to think it was an arrhythmia due to a blow to the chest.  Pretty rare, but it happens.  Take a hard blow at exactly the right few milliseconds of the hearbeat, it shuts it down.

This has happened before in sporting events.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Docs seem to think it was an arrhythmia due to a blow to the chest.  Pretty rare, but it happens.  Take a hard blow at exactly the right few milliseconds of the hearbeat, it shuts it down.

This has happened before in sporting events.

Not an arrythmia, just hit at a funky time in his normal heart rhythm. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Not an arrythmia, just hit at a funky time in his normal heart rhythm. 

A Vfib arrhythmia can lead to sudden cardiac arrest within seconds.  I'm guessing that was what they meant.  If it was a blow that just stopped his heart he wouldn't have stood up then dropped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Not an arrythmia, just hit at a funky time in his normal heart rhythm. 

The docs also think that the blow may have slid up to his chin and there is TBI in there which in some circumstances can also stop the heart.  2 choices, both guesses and we won't know for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Hamlin's charity's go fund me page now reflects almost $4.5 million in donations.

This is a good/bad thing.

Money to charity is always good.

But they are going to have to do something more than toys now.  And odd how people just throw money around when something bad happens, even when it does nothing for the thing that happened.

Not complaining, I just find it curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

This is a good/bad thing.

Money to charity is always good.

But they are going to have to do something more than toys now.  And odd how people just throw money around when something bad happens, even when it does nothing for the thing that happened.

Not complaining, I just find it curious.

I didn't read all the details, but there was an update to the fundraiser thanking people for  the support and saying the funds would be used to support his community, including  the original toy drive, back to school drives (to provide supplies), kids camps and other community initiatives.

It does seem like a bit of a knee jerk reaction (although one with a positive impact), but often when people feel powerless, they want to do "something" even if it doesn't really help the main issue.   But they want to show their support in some fashion and let the family know they care.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...