The longest day

petitepedal

12 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

No..not my day at work (maybe @bikeman564™ after 12 days off)

The movie...just came across it.

It's a great movie and it's loaded with the top American and British actors of the day.

It's able to keep the audience aware of the overall situation while not getting to lost in the personal stories.

My father, who amphibiously invaded Algeria, Sicily, Salerno and Anzio Italy as a member of Darby's Rangers, felt the only thing wrong with most war movies is that someone gets shot and neatly falls unconscious or dead with little visible bleedin.  Dad said the pieces of flesh, eye, bone, etc. that flew onto the other men and a screams of the dying were never accurately represented.  I wish he had lived to 1998 so he could see the D-Day Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

It's a great movie and it's loaded with the top American and British actors of the day.

It's able to keep the audience aware of the overall situation while not getting to lost in the personal stories.

My father, who amphibiously invaded Algeria, Sicily, Salerno and Anzio Italy as a member of Darby's Rangers, felt the only thing wrong with most war movies is that someone gets shot and neatly falls unconscious or dead with little visible bleedin.  Dad said the pieces of flesh, eye, bone, etc. that flew onto the other men and a screams of the dying were never accurately represented.  I wish he had lived to 1998 so he could see the D-Day Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Do you think he would have wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan?   My dad wasn’t bothered by the war movies of the day but they were not that realistic either.   My Vietnam vet brother couldn’t watch Platoon, It bothered him too much & he left the theater.   

• Hugs 2

The Longest Day

We watch lots of movies...  It's has been a while for this one. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My dad wasn’t bothered by the war movies of the day but they were not that realistic either.

The lack of realism maybe a good thing. if you want to sell a lot of tickets at the movie theater.   Then again it that paints a false picture here that too many people take as fact. 

My uncle was in a tank in Italy and if I recall somewhere in Africa during WW2.   He never talked about it.  We didn't ask. 

I hope your vet brother is OK.   

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The Longest Day

We watch lots of movies...  It's has been a while for this one. 

The lack of realism maybe a good thing. if you want to sell a lot of tickets at the movie theater.   Then again it that paints a false picture here that too many people take as fact. 

My uncle was in a tank in Italy and if I recall somewhere in Africa during WW2.   He never talked about it.  We didn't ask. 

I hope your vet brother is OK.   

Cancer got him far too young about 9 years ago but thanks for the kind thoughts.  We buried him in Arlington Cemetery as was his wish.  

• Hugs 1