What does your state suck at?

Square Wheels
Go to solution Solved by Gump,

Roads!!  Yesterday the state senate passed a sales tax bill to raise our sales tax from 6% to 7% to fix the roads.  I believe that the governor has to sign it but I do know that it has to go before the people in a May vote before it can be enacted.  

One of the features of the new bill is that it replaces the per gallon state tax at the pump with the 7% sales tax on the same.  The state has been complaining that they have collected fewer dollars because we are buying fewer gallons of gasoline.

We'll see if this actually fixes the roads??

Texas sucks at Not Being Awesome!

Were you afraid to post what the article said Texas was worst at?

Texas: Fewest high school graduates per capita

Less than 80% of Texans have a high school diploma. It’s actually the only state that dips below 80%, too. Everything is bigger in Texas — including dropout rates, apparently.

But NO FRACKING in NY!!

<shakes head>

Yup, NY bans fracking for the 'uncertainties of adverse health outcomes":

"The overall weight of the evidence from the cumulative body of information contained in this Public Health Review demonstrates that there are significant uncertainties about the kinds of adverse health outcomes that may be associated with HVHF, the likelihood of the occurrence of adverse health outcomes, and the effectiveness of some of the mitigation measures in reducing or preventing environmental impacts which could adversely affect public health," Zucker wrote.

But the NY state health commissioner Howard Zucker doesn't ban cigarettes for which the 'adverse health outcomes' are well documented and quite certain.

And he doesn't ban alcohol, for which the 'adverse health outcomes' are well documented and quite certain.

• Heart 1

Were you afraid to post what the article said Texas was worst at?

Texas: Fewest high school graduates per capita

Less than 80% of Texans have a high school diploma. It’s actually the only state that dips below 80%, too. Everything is bigger in Texas — including dropout rates, apparently.

I would say that is wrong , based on this:  http://www.americashealthrankings.org/ALL/Graduation

The link I have has Texas ranked at number 22, which while not great, is also not the worst.

Oh, and Texas is ranked higher than Washington state and Florida on my list.

I would say that is wrong , based on this:  http://www.americashealthrankings.org/ALL/Graduation

The link I have has Texas ranked at number 22, which while not great, is also not the worst.

Oh, and Texas is ranked higher than Washington state and Florida on my list.

Touchy, touchy. Are you sure you understand the chart? Did you graduate high school? Maybe you got it confused with pie.

<shakes head>

Yup, NY bans fracking for the 'uncertainties of adverse health outcomes":

"The overall weight of the evidence from the cumulative body of information contained in this Public Health Review demonstrates that there are significant uncertainties about the kinds of adverse health outcomes that may be associated with HVHF, the likelihood of the occurrence of adverse health outcomes, and the effectiveness of some of the mitigation measures in reducing or preventing environmental impacts which could adversely affect public health," Zucker wrote.

But the NY state health commissioner Howard Zucker doesn't ban cigarettes for which the 'adverse health outcomes' are well documented and quite certain.

And he doesn't ban alcohol, for which the 'adverse health outcomes' are well documented and quite certain.

Cigarettes and alcohol we each choose to use or not.  

I heard on the news last night that the highways are covered in beer in Ohio.  I'd call that pretty awesome.

That's true.  That happened not far from where I live.  But in true Ohio fashion, it wasn't good beer, it was the mass-produced swill made up in Middletown.  Coors Light most likely, so no great loss. 

Cigarettes and alcohol we each choose to use or not.  

Choice isn't the issue.

My point is the state health commissioner's logic is flawed.  If he is going to ban something because it's not clear to him what the health impacts might be, and if he says he considers all of the people in NY to be his 'patients' for whom he is responsible, then it seems entirely logical he should be banning products and activities that we already know bring negative health impacts to his 'patients'.  And yet he doesn't. He's inconsistent.  What, pray tell, would be his reasons for not doing so?

If we follow the line of reasoning that the commissioner takes away the choice to let people perform fracking on their land to prevent possible negative health impacts, then the same line of reasoning leads us to conclude he should take away their choice to smoke and drink on their property too.

Choice isn't the issue.

My point is the state health commissioner's logic is flawed.  If he is going to ban something because it's not clear to him what the health impacts might be, and if he says he considers all of the people in NY to be his 'patients' for whom he is responsible, then it seems entirely logical he should be banning products and activities that we already know bring negative health impacts to his 'patients'.  And yet he doesn't. He's inconsistent.  What, pray tell, would be his reasons for not doing so?

If we follow the line of reasoning that the commissioner takes away the choice to let people perform fracking on their land to prevent possible negative health impacts, then the same line of reasoning leads us to conclude he should take away their choice to smoke and drink on their property too.

Ban hammers are hard to put down.  

I would ban bell-ringers first, if I was in charge, then I might step down, considering that I saved humanity from those damn bells for a month straight every year.  I would be a modern-day Mother Teresa, without all the tarting around.

My point is the state health commissioner's logic is flawed.  If he is going to ban something because it's not clear to him what the health impacts might be, and if he says he considers all of the people in NY to be his 'patients' for whom he is responsible, then it seems entirely logical he should be banning products and activities that we already know bring negative health impacts to his 'patients'.

I think we're on the same page with this one. As much as there are some legitimate concerns about fracking, it's far easier to build the case against tobacco use. The research is out there. The studies have been done, time and again. And yet tobacco is legally sold. If the issue really is about health, instead of warning labels and heavy taxes on tobacco products, we'd see an outright ban.