Do beets give you the runs?

Randomguy

I have noticed that when I eat beets, after not having had them for a while, that they will clean me out pretty quickly.  I had a third of a beet/quinoa/pickled onion salad last night (it really was mostly beets, with the other parts for taste and texture, I assume) , and it did not clean me out (I ate another third of it this morning). 

Should I expect mayhem?  Delayed mayhem?  Nothing at all?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't eat them🤮

I don't eat them often, but know they are supposed to be awesome for you.  But they are beets.

I will keep trying, they will probably grow on me at some point.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

I run TOWARDS beets!  They are especially delicious!  I've never noticed them causing any particular mayhem with my digestion, but they probably are full of fiber, AND they make a normal BM look like I'm bleeding out.  Beets have a very strong color and can stain stuff pretty easily.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I run TOWARDS beets!  They are especially delicious!  I've never noticed them causing any particular mayhem with my digestion, but they probably are full of fiber, AND they make a normal BM look like I'm bleeding out.  Beets have a very strong color and can stain stuff pretty easily.

Golden beets are a better variation on the color / staining scale. Try them next time. The greens are good in salads too. 

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I figure if I don't like them after 48 years, I probably will not.

Yeah, but things change.  I hated olives until I was 44, then suddenly they tasted pretty damn good!  

The staining everything is difficult to deal with, but PTJ has a good suggestion.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, but things change.  I hated olives until I was 44, then suddenly they tasted pretty damn good!  

I do love olives! And, like you, didn't like them for quite a while before making the change.  

Very little is on my "can't/won't eat list" anymore.  As ever, it's often my exposure to something was either minimal or the first time was poorly executed.  As my mom wasn't  a great cook when I was a kid, many  things that might have been tasty weren't after she made them.  Later in life, and certainly after the dawn of the Golden Age of American Cooking, I realized, "DAMN, most food tastes AMAZING when well executed."  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I do love olives! And, like you, didn't like them for quite a while before making the change.  

Very little is on my "can't/won't eat list" anymore.  As ever, it's often my exposure to something was either minimal or the first time was poorly executed.  As my mom wasn't  a great cook when I was a kid, many  things that might have been tasty weren't after she made them.  Later in life, and certainly after the dawn of the Golden Age of American Cooking, I realized, "DAMN, most food tastes AMAZING when well executed."  

It helps to have context and an advocate that isn't a hippie, the introduction helps.  Beets are foreign in so many ways to what we normally eat, in size, color, texture, taste, so I think a guided tour would have been a good idea, along with a limited introduction.

They are still scary in a way, but less so now.  That cat is showing the way, probably.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Beets are foreign in so many ways to what we normally eat, in size, color, texture, taste, so I think a guided tour would have been a good idea, along with a limited introduction.

Which is funny because it was one of the few side dishes my mom did well (or well enough that I ate them).  

But, man, it is really nice to new able to eat "locally" almost anywhere in the world.  I still struggle with eating a long list of things - mostly the obvious "oddities" like tripe, brain, eyeballs, or that weird half-grown chicken in an egg thing - but it is always shrinking.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Which is funny because it was one of the few side dishes my mom did well (or well enough that I ate them).  

But, man, it is really nice to new able to eat "locally" almost anywhere in the world.  I still struggle with eating a long list of things - mostly the obvious "oddities" like tripe, brain, eyeballs, or that weird half-grown chicken in an egg thing - but it is always shrinking.  

I had gelatinous beef tendon at a dim sum place before the surgery.  The first tiny bite I had was fine, so I took a bigger bite.  Big mistake, almost urped it up.

• Haha 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I had gelatinous beef tendon at a dim sum place before the surgery.  The first tiny bite I had was fine, so I took a bigger bite.  Big mistake, almost urped it up.

I've made a few mistakes during my menu translating and felt a little queasy after realizing it wasn't what I thought is was. :Wow:  I'm still alive, and my translating skills are becoming better (ie I never assume I am correct in my memory & translation, and I never assume the folks who might have created an "English" menu actually know English).

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I like beets.  Strangely, a slice of beet and/or pineapple go nicely on a cheeseburger, esp if you add an egg too.

I had a kiwiburger in NZ, but pulled the beets off because they seemed weird to me.  I loved the egg on it, though, and will often get that on burgers if it is an option.  There was also a place in San Diego that I used to go to, they had a Tsunami Burger with pineapple and teriyaki sauce, that was pretty good!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I had a kiwiburger in NZ, but pulled the beets off because they seemed weird to me.  I loved the egg on it, though, and will often get that on burgers if it is an option.  There was also a place in San Diego that I used to go to, they had a Tsunami Burger with pineapple and teriyaki sauce, that was pretty good!

In Australia, they call gas stations "servos" and that is the best place to get a burger.  

Aussie Burger With The Lot • Curious Cuisiniere

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I had a kiwiburger in NZ, but pulled the beets off because they seemed weird to me.

I don't remember beets in my food in NZ, but maybe I wasn't eating true Kiwi!  I do remember a delicious ramen meal, and they did seem to be into Brit stuff. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Oregano goes nicely on beets, BTW. Beets are our summer indulgence.  In the store, they are super expensive.  I have a bunch of seeds still.  Next year, I hope to grow red and yellow, if we are around in the summer months.    

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Nothing at all?

That's what I'd expect.

Tonight we were at a local restaurant, one of the few (maybe the only here) that still ahs a great salad bar.  They had beets...    I could not pass them up. 

One of the other things I like, they had pickled herring in the salad bar too.   Hmmm...  I had that too. :party:

• Heart 1