Now that Sony has backed down...

Road Runner

As reprehensible as the subject of this movie appears to be, I still find it disturbing that a foreign dictator can decide what we do and don't watch.  Even the President said that Sony shouldn't have cancelled the opening.

Another thing that everyone should probably take from this is that none of our internet data is "safe".  A determined "hacker" with lots of capability and resources (such as a foreign government) can probably get into any corporate system they choose to attack.

As reprehensible as the subject of this movie appears to be, I still find it disturbing that a foreign dictator can decide what we do and don't watch.  Even the President said that Sony shouldn't have cancelled the opening.

Another thing that everyone should probably take from this is that none of our internet data is "safe".  A determined "hacker" with lots of capability and resources (such as a foreign government) can probably get into any corporate system they choose to attack.

While I agree with the idea that our data is generally unprotected, there didn't appear to be much in the way of security at Sony.  They simply got their hands on an Admin's ID and PW and signed in and sent malware.  That should never happen.   "Hey Bill, can you send me an e-mail with my new admin password?"

There are physical devices - retina scanners, and encryption methodologies - foreign key encryption that could have made this easier than a cakewalk for the N Koreans.

We are doing byte level encryption for customers in the medical industry.  The data will do you no good.  You have to have the data, the encryption algorithm, and the foreign encryption key from a remote server for the byte at the time it was written.  Without all three the data is worthless.  Is that unhackable - no, but Sony appeared to be an open door.