Jump to content

Musculature & older athletes


shootingstar

Recommended Posts



Muscles that are kept active but not overactive can stay in great shape for most of life.

Tom Brady playing NFL football into his mid 40's and some women gymnasts that have stayed competitive into their 30's - despite women's gymnastic events being designed for little girl's bodies - are examples of what keeping in proper shape means.

Unfortunately, too many of us are not doing much about our physical shape - including me, but hopefully that changes this year.

  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

A top competitive Japanese figure skater pair...she is 29 and he is 36 this yr.  They are highly experienced, very strong, and skating for a long time. But somehow their musculature at their age, still compact.

This is a WTF moment for me.  29 and 36??? Young folks in their prime? Were you expecting differently?  Hell, I'm 52 and my muscles aren't too different than when I was 32.  I thought this was gonna be about someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger who is 75.

:dontknow:

  • Heart 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

I lift 2 days a week, for upper body and core strength that are helpful to long distance cycling

I have a good friend who's 1-2 yrs. older and has been doing weights for past few years, in addition to her riding. She's shorter than I, but I suspect stronger on bike than I.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

This is a WTF moment for me.  29 and 36??? Young folks in their prime? Were you expecting differently?  Hell, I'm 52 and my muscles aren't too different than when I was 32.  I thought this was gonna be about someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger who is 75.

:dontknow:

I don't think I had much muscle 20 yrs. ago Being slimmer then, doesn't much muscle definition. either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Japanese pair is interesting.  He was one of the top Japanese male singles skaters a few years ago and quite a Japanese heartthrob. His prime was in the late 2000's, but was eventually overtaken by Japan's two time Olympic Gold Medalist, Yuzuru Hanyu.   He retired for a number of years and then came back as an ice dancer.  Mid 30's is old for an ice skater, but it helps that he's not jumping in ice dance, plus he didn't compete for a number of years.

Even more interesting is the new Canadian pairs champion, Deanna Stellato Dudek  She was a singles skater for the US in the late 90's - winning the junior grand prix and was second at Junior Worlds. She retired with a variety of injuries in 2001. Over 15 years later (and after a career as an aesthitician) she took up skating pairs and competed for the US.  When that partnership ended, she moved to Canada to find a partner and at age 39 just became Canadian Pairs Champion.  

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The Japanese pair is interesting.  He was one of the top Japanese male singles skaters a few years ago and quite a Japanese heartthrob. His prime was in the late 2000's, but was eventually overtaken by Japan's two time Olympic Gold Medalist, Yuzuru Hanyu.   He retired for a number of years and then came back as an ice dancer.  Mid 30's is old for an ice skater, but it helps that he's not jumping in ice dance, plus he didn't compete for a number of years.

Even more interesting is the new Canadian pairs champion, Deanna Stellato Dudek  She was a singles skater for the US in the late 90's - winning the junior grand prix and was second at Junior Worlds. She retired with a variety of injuries in 2001. Over 15 years later (and after a career as an aesthitician) she took up skating pairs and competed for the US.  When that partnership ended, she moved to Canada to find a partner and at age 39 just became Canadian Pairs Champion.  

You keep up the latest, Kirby.  39 for any national/international competitive figure skater, is just amazing.

Yesterday I was reading about the commentary about the punishment of their body weight when any of the ice skaters do the triple/quadruple aerial jump spins and then land on their skate blades on ice. I never thought about the amount of pounding on the knees over time. Of course, they have to practice over 'n over those routines/jumps.

Keegan Messing, dual American-CAnadian citizen who competed for Canada since 2015, just retired @31 yrs. this yr.,  because he was feeling the aches and pains. But then, he will still be performing in ice dancing shows.

Dearie did downhill, mogul skiing in Switzerland and Austria during his vacation in his 20's for 5-7 yrs..  In the final decade of life, his knees start to bother him.  THat's why he really loved cycling..going for long distances and knees wouldn't be bothered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Keegan Messing, dual American-CAnadian citizen who competed for Canada since 2015, just retired @31 yrs. this yr.,  because he was feeling the aches and pains. But then, he will still be performing in ice dancing shows.

 

I recall meeting Keegan  when he was a novice skater at a reception after US Nationals.  All the competitors are invited to come to meet the fans, but typically only the senior skaters or top medal winners are "strongly encouraged" to come.  It can't really be fun for them to pose for pics and chat with the fans, but the top skaters want to stay in the federation's good graces and the reception is a fundraiser for the athlete's fund..  But I recalled Keegan because he was just about the only novice skater there and even the senior skaters usually came in pairs so they had a friend with them.  But Keegan was there mostly just standing by himself while everyone waited to get pictures with the senior skaters.  There was something so earnest and sweet about him, determined  to do the "right" thing even when none of his fellow novice skaters were there.  He was just a cute kid happy to talk to all the old folks.

Very glad to see he won in his final year even though his free skate was a bit rough. He's maintained his nice guy personality during all his years of skating.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I recall meeting Keegan  when he was a novice skater at a reception after US Nationals.  All the competitors are invited to come to meet the fans, but typically only the senior skaters or top medal winners are "strongly encouraged" to come.  It can't really be fun for them to pose for pics and chat with the fans, but the top skaters want to stay in the federation's good graces and the reception is a fundraiser for the athlete's fund..  But I recalled Keegan because he was just about the only novice skater there and even the senior skaters usually came in pairs so they had a friend with them.  But Keegan was there mostly just standing by himself while everyone waited to get pictures with the senior skaters.  There was something so earnest and sweet about him, determined  to do the "right" thing even when none of his fellow novice skaters were there.  He was just a cute kid happy to talk to all the old folks.

Very glad to see he won in his final year even though his free skate was a bit rough. He's maintained his nice guy personality during all his years of skating.

How intriguing.

I saw his ice skate number tribute to his brother, who died tragically on his motorcycle in his mid-20's, when a car hit him in Alaska.  I understood his grief.

A few weeks ago, his final competition performance number in CAnada as good-bye to competitive skating world, which was emotional for him, probably was a powerful convergence in those few minutes, of an athlete's long journey.  Also he might of been thinking of his parents, his brothers, including the one who died, who had cheered for him throughout his skating career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed for the above Japanese 29 yr. competitive figure ice skater, for a long time, her legs didn't look heavily muscular like alot of other long time women figure skaters competing at the international level for well over a decade. I guess it's biology, how a body shapes itself under certain (extreme) circumstances.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How intriguing.

I saw his ice skate number tribute to his brother, who died tragically on his motorcycle in his mid-20's, when a car hit him in Alaska.  I understood his grief.

A few weeks ago, his final competition performance number in CAnada as good-bye to competitive skating world, which was emotional for him, probably was a powerful convergence in those few minutes, of an athlete's long journey.  Also he might of been thinking of his parents, his brothers, including the one who died, who had cheered for him throughout his skating career.

And his wife and young son.  It's been a long journey for him during his career.

The Japanese skater is an ice dancer, although she skated as a single competitor a number of years ago. The ice dancers are doing amazing stuff, but they're not doing the jumps that the singles and pair skaters do.  Sadly eating disorders are high in skating, particularly since 'appearance" matters in a judged sport and many coaches emphasize the difference even a few pounds can make in jumps.  But the federations are getting more aware of these issues and most national camps have sessions with nutritionists and psychologists, but it's still an issue.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I will admit that some of my weight training is to look better

I think that Wo46 does her weight training so she can be better sidecar racer.....or to have the ability to kick my ass if she wanted to. 

  • Heart 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...