So why do you drink?

Road Runner

Alcoholic beverages, I mean.  

I don't drink alcohol anymore.  Pretty much all of the most embarrassing and disturbing events in my life occurred when I was under the influence.   :(

Now that I look back on it, I don't know why I ever drank.  Social stuff, I guess.  Alcohol never made me feel better or act smarter or appear handsomer or accomplish anything at all at an improved skill level.  It made me stupid, uncoordinated, slovenly, unable to think straight and extremely dangerous behind the wheel of a car.  I usually only drank on the weekends, but I'm unbelievably lucky I was never in a wreck or even ticketed for a DUI.  Alcohol certainly played a big part in the breakup of my marriage.

So why do you drink, if I may ask?  Most of you do and I'm not passing judgement on anyone else.  I just don't understand why we, as a society, seem to prefer being intoxicated to some extent versus being as alert and conscious of our lives and everyone around us as possible.   :scratch head:

There are times where I "need a drink" but I don't run to the bottle. Generally I enjoy stopping after work once a week or so to hang w/ friends and drink a few beers. Just a social thing mainly. I don't drink much at home, but if I have a taste for a beer or cocktail I'll have one. More so in the summer when I can sit outside and enjoy the weather.

I don't get drunk (anymore).

Now I drink mostly wine as I enjoy cooking good food and a nicely paired wine can enhance flavours in the food and certain aspects of the food can bring out nice qualities in the wine.

My hard liquor choices is mostly nice amber rums, sipped neat as a digestif after a big meal

You bastards are beating up on poor little alcohol, and I am not gonna take it!

I like to drink.  

I like the buzz.  I like the flavor, or discovery of new flavors, or of flavor combinations.  Drinking reinforces that I am in a relaxed state where responsibilities are removed or at least postponed, and that I am with friends, typically.   I like that it makes others more attractive, even though the market isn't open.  Drinking removes some filters, even as it adds new ones.  New perspectives are achieved while drinking, you can see things in a new light.  Attitudes lighten.   Some celebrating may be going on.  Lots of stuff, really.  

Unfortunately, I don't drink much.  I can't have it with food, at all, food doesn't drain too effectively for me and I end of feeling overstuffed and get acid reflux.  This bums me out.  I can't have wine, at all, for the same reason.

So there you go.

• Heart 1

Drinking reinforces that I am in a relaxed state where responsibilities are removed or at least postponed, and that I am with friends, typically.   I like that it makes others more attractive, even though the market isn't open. Drinking removes some filters, even as it adds new ones.  New perspectives are achieved while drinking, you can see things in a new light.  Attitudes lighten.   

I don't get the same reaction that you do.  Alcohol tends to depress me instead of lighten my mood.  It is, after all, a depressant drug, not a stimulant.  I can't imagine it making people more attractive.  Women are already super-attractive.  And those filters it removes are sometimes better left where they are.

But I appreciate your viewpoint.  It may work for you and others but not for me or for most of my family.  I guess everybody is wired a little differently.

Alcoholic beverages, I mean.  

I don't drink alcohol anymore.  Pretty much all of the most embarrassing and disturbing events in my life occurred when I was under the influence.   :(

Now that I look back on it, I don't know why I ever drank.  Social stuff, I guess.  Alcohol never made me feel better or act smarter or appear handsomer or accomplish anything at all at an improved skill level.  It made me stupid, uncoordinated, slovenly, unable to think straight and extremely dangerous behind the wheel of a car.  I usually only drank on the weekends, but I'm unbelievably lucky I was never in a wreck or even ticketed for a DUI.  Alcohol certainly played a big part in the breakup of my marriage.

So why do you drink, if I may ask?  Most of you do and I'm not passing judgement on anyone else.  I just don't understand why we, as a society, seem to prefer being intoxicated to some extent versus being as alert and conscious of our lives and everyone around us as possible.   :scratch head:

You underestimate your charm while drinking, think James Bond, but suave and good looking.   :)

I think everybody is lucky they didn't get a DUI or a wreck while drinking when they were young, but it isn't alcohols fault.  Alcohol doesn't kill people, guns kill people, or something like that.  I think it would be fun to drink and shoot, and possibly drive, all at the same time, and when you are 18 or younger.

Were you the drinker in your marriage?  The ex?  The quarrelsome ex drank everyday, btw.  I would buy a six-pack of something, and two days later want a beer, and they were always gone.  It got so I would hide a beer in the crisper or something if it was to have a ghost of a chance to be there were I to want it, otherwise the ex would drink it.  She was crazy, though, when she wasn't right in the head.

Sometimes I drink to relax after a stressful day at work....and sometimes I drink out of boredom (like saturday night laundry)  Unfortunately neither of those reasons are very good...and I do think I can say at least 1/2 of my weight gain is due to the above reasons for drinking. 

If I am in a social situation and will be driving...I never have more than 2 glasses of wine with a meal.... at home...it is sometimes more.

Were you the drinker in your marriage?  The ex?  The quarrelsome ex drank everyday, btw.  I would buy a six-pack of something, and two days later want a beer, and they were always gone.  It got so I would hide a beer in the crisper or something if it was to have a ghost of a chance to be there were I to want it, otherwise the ex would drink it.  She was crazy, though, when she wasn't right in the head.

It wasn't that I drank all the time.  It was just that when I did drink on the weekends (for fun), I had a habit of doing really stupid things that, without going into details, certainly had a negative effect on my relationship with my wife.  Over time, stuff builds up and love dissipates.  My fault.  My whole family has a history of alcohol problems.  My younger brother seems to be a full fledged alcoholic now, but he says he is aware and is trying to stop.  It doesn't seem to be working.  

Thankfully most people are happy drinkers.  I experienced a few mean drinkers in college, and man, that is a bad scene!

My Dad was like that.  As kids, we always knew when he was drinking because he would bitch at us and my Mother constantly.  I never understood why being the way he was when he was drinking would have had any possible allure for him.

You watch my oldest for a day without his meds... You will quickly understand why I drink now and then :)

Years ago, I asked my uncle why he always seemed to have a beer in his hand.  He said "I have 4 kids, my wife is fat, and I hate my job".  I had to agree that he had good reasons.  His kids are older and he is retired, but his wife is still fat.

I think he just liked beer, though.

• Heart 2

I only had one time in my life where I drank to escape.  Two jobs ago; it was both the culture of the job (almost everyone drank, and when on a job, it could be expensed within reason), but also, the job drove it for many of us.  It wasn't a constant, and I didn't "need" it (other than the stressful times when everyone goes "I need a drink"), but it was certainly higher than any time in my life.  Lasted 1-2 years.  And it was never alone; everyone did together.  I've never been mean when drinking, but that doesn't mean it doesn't lead to bad judgment.  And thinking I'm a lot funnier than I really am.

With that gone, I drink for the taste of a good beer or occasionally a cocktail.  It usually means I have one, or once in a great while, 3-4.  Nothing like I did then, and I hope I'm not in an environment that makes me regularly want to drink for reasons other than taste again.