How Do People Watch Movies On Regular TV?

Razors Edge

...these days without a DVR?

Holy schnizzle!!!!  Live sports are bad enough with long ad stretches, but TV shows and movies - where you can't ffwd/skip the ads?  UNWATCHABLE.  

First thing I do when I want to watch a show with ads is rewind it to the start so I can skip the darn commercials.  If I can't do that, I usually don't bother (or leave it on another tuner and check back in 30 mins).  Right now, my general rule is to wait until at least 10 mins have passed for a 30 min show, or 15-20 mins for a one hour show before I will "start" watching.  Let it build a bit of ad buffer and then watch straight through. 

I typically use my dvr and don't watch most movies "live" but when I do, I'm typically doing something else while I watch, like posting or various chores.  The commercial breaks give me a chance to get snacks from the kitchen or do something else for a few minutes.   I still remember my childhood when we'd all scatter during the commercials only to be brought back by a call of "show's on"

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

We just canceled Google TV.  That leaves us with Netflix (paid), Amazone (part of Prime), Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ (free from Verizon Wireless), and whatever else is free.

We rarely watch TV.  I had Google TV in MA because it was the best way to watch sports.  Now I can only view local sports on Google TV, so I got rid of it.

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

its free TV

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I prefer to watch things as they're being aired.

That was our plan in the 60s and 70s.  I lived in the suburbs of Chicago.   

I moved to rural IL in 1980.  No antenna TV here.   This is what is available here.    Link to the search.

image.png.46ba520f061a91a3d3e6db7622d1f32e.png

The ONLY choice then was the cable company.  

VCRs were introduced in the 80s.   They were expensive... but OMG we could tape a movie and SKIP the commercials. :party:  So that what we used then.

Eventually the cable company here started using DVRs.  WoBG loads up the DVR and we watch movies.  That's how we skip commercials, if the channel has them.  We also use 2 streaming services too.    

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Live sports are bad enough with long ad stretches, but TV shows and movies - where you can't ffwd/skip the ads?  UNWATCHABLE.  

That's one reason I stopped watching sports on TV.   

We seldom watch 'regular' TV.  We gave up watching the news too.   Most of the time we watch movies.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:52 AM, Razors Edge said:

...these days without a DVR?

Holy schnizzle!!!!  Live sports are bad enough with long ad stretches, but TV shows and movies - where you can't ffwd/skip the ads?  UNWATCHABLE.  

First thing I do when I want to watch a show with ads is rewind it to the start so I can skip the darn commercials.  If I can't do that, I usually don't bother (or leave it on another tuner and check back in 30 mins).  Right now, my general rule is to wait until at least 10 mins have passed for a 30 min show, or 15-20 mins for a one hour show before I will "start" watching.  Let it build a bit of ad buffer and then watch straight through. 

Great idea to wait for part of the show to play before watching!

I DVR record and watch Scorpion reruns on POP TV.  There are 3 commercial breaks that are 4, 5, and 6 minutes long during the 1 hour show!

I automatically DVR and save 5-14 reruns of several shows from Mom to The Big Bang Theory to Monk and then watch them while skipping through the commercials.

If you've attended live NFL games and wonder sometimes why the players are standing around long after a time out has expired, you'll notice there's a guy on the sidelines they keep looking at.  He's the guy who tells them when the commercials are over.

Just now, MickinMD said:

If you've attended live NFL games and wonder sometimes why the players are standing around long after a time out has expired, you'll notice there's a guy on the sidelines they keep looking at.  He's the guy who tells them when the commercials are over.

I remember that from college basketball games.  When the game was televised, there would be a ref who would step out on the court after an out-of-bounds or other play stoppage, and stand there for a minute or so before stepping back and letting play restart.