Bike taars - is there ever any reason not to buy Continental Gatorskins?

Ralphie

The only tires I buy, since I'm not a racer.  Durable and a good ride too; a number of Armadillo users I talked to said they had a very heavy or dead feel.

Last I knew, the best prices were from ProBikeKit in the UK; I was able to save substantial amounts, but it has been awhile since I've been shopping.

EDIT:  Looks like you can get a pair of 25C Gatorskins with two free Michelin tubes for $70 through them.

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/continental-gatorskin-clincher-road-tyre-twin-pack-with-2-free-tubes-black-700c-x-25mm/11020956.html

I use to ride on Gatorskins, but switched to Conti Grand Prix 3000S Black Chili tires. They ride much better and are pretty puncture resistant. I've had a couple of flats that the Gatorskins might have prevented - or might not have.

This and they have less rolling resistance. :)

I use to ride on Gatorskins, but switched to Conti Grand Prix 3000S Black Chili tires. They ride much better and are pretty puncture resistant. I've had a couple of flats that the Gatorskins might have prevented - or might not have.

I second this, plus I think the GP's handle better in wet weather.  

Gatorskins aren't the smoothest tires out ther, but the are durable, and not rocks.

Michelin Pro4 endurance/Krylion Carbon are the best compromise I've found, and cheap if you get them through a shop in England.

I have to agree with this, too, their carbon tires were a pretty nice cross of better durability and a nice ride.  I still like the open corsa for dry weather, there isn't any substitute for 320tpi that I have ridden, but they are pricey as hell, too.