Habits of relatives

shootingstar

Every family has a range of relatives, with their own unique habits.

One of my BILs, the long-time university engineering professor and researcher, is like this below. From his daughter who tweets out to the world, which right now the bookstore's online system got hacked for past 2 wks. 

(He is my age.  I recall over 30 yrs. ago., I had heard he didn't want to use ATMs. Now, I have been using them all along (even though I rarely order anything online also).

image.png.abbf1611696b6a75fef6bb51755046c7.png

I remember, as a wee lad in around 1980, riding in the car to Girard Bank to use their ATM.  That was a real advance in convenience!  

I personally have never had a checking account where the ATM wasn't the most used form of interaction with a bank branch.  ATM by a mile, then drive-thru, and as last resort, inside.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I remember, as a wee lad in around 1980, riding in the car to Girard Bank to use their ATM.  That was a real advance in convenience!  

I personally have never had a checking account where the ATM wasn't the most used form of interaction with a bank branch.  ATM by a mile, then drive-thru, and as last resort, inside.

It is different when you start young and live in bigger towns. They don't have a candy jar at the local ATMs. Now, I use the drive in most, but before covid, I went inside on most trips, partly to look at my photos hanging on the walls.

• Awesome 2

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

It is different when you start young and live in bigger towns. They don't have a candy jar at the local ATMs. Now, I use the drive in most, but before covid, I went inside on most trips, partly to look at my photos hanging on the walls.

And that’s why I like going into the Post Office; my photo hanging on the wall. It’s nice to feel wanted.

• Haha 3

I have one relative with a habit - or lack of a habit - that's frustration to us relatives.

She, Cousin Sally, is in her 80's and is barely getting by financially - I sent her $500 a few years ago for a dental emergency.

The bad habit is paying absolutely everything by cash or check.

She will NOT get a credit card even though she needs one because she has very bad knees and limited mobility.  She's very responsible financially and savvy enough to handle the card without paying interest.  So now she goes to a bank to buy money orders then mails bills to utilities, etc.  She has very bad knees but can't order grocery delivery without a credit card.  Her financially-and-physically-not-well-off daughter was doing it for her - but she then had to go to the bank and get cash to pay the daughter.  She's not getting along well with the daughter now so, with bad knees, she's going to supermarkets on her own.  She gets store people to load her car and neighbors to help her bring it into the house.  The last time was a 90+ year-old neighbor in very good shape!

I talk to her by phone once in a while and point out what she wouldn't have to do if she had a no-annual-fee card where, since she's not very Internet savvy, her daughter, me, or a nephew could set up her page on the card's site and set it up to automatically pay each statement in full to avoid interest.  Her Social Security plus small pension check would cover it each month, and we'd also help her move money around online in her bank account.  She's worked in an accounting office and would have no trouble keeping track of money. She's smart enough that we could teach her how to do it all herself with her smartphone.

But she's got some kind of phobia to credit cards we can't overcome.

I and other cousins and her nieces and nephew live 90 - 120 minutes away from her and would take a day once in a while to give her some help, but we'd be doing things she should not have to need done and there's the fear she'll keep being stupid about that credit card - as well as too-demanding, irritating, and stubborn with her nearby daughter.

• Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I read about a great idea for a new reality show.  The contestants are all flat earthers.  The first team to find the edge wins.  That would be awesome!

Give them each a small sailboat with a GPS tracker and send them on their way off the coast of California or maybe Southern Argentina?  Some place where they will need to keep going a while before hitting the edge.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I have one relative with a habit - or lack of a habit - that's frustration to us relatives.

She, Cousin Sally, is in her 80's and is barely getting by financially - I sent her $500 a few years ago for a dental emergency.

The bad habit is paying absolutely everything by cash or check.

She will NOT get a credit card even though she needs one because she has very bad knees and limited mobility.  She's very responsible financially and savvy enough to handle the card without paying interest.  ...............................................................................

She's worked in an accounting office and would have no trouble keeping track of money. She's smart enough that we could teach her how to do it all herself with her smartphone.

But she's got some kind of phobia to credit cards we can't overcome.

I and other cousins and her nieces and nephew live 90 - 120 minutes away from her and would take a day once in a while to give her some help, but we'd be doing things she should not have to need done and there's the fear she'll keep being stupid about that credit card - as well as too-demanding, irritating, and stubborn with her nearby daughter.

Interesting with her accounting office background and natural affinity with numbers.

It's sorta similar to my BIL that I mentioned who teaches waaaaay more complex math to undergrad engineering students and he supervises post-grads.,  that would even challenge bikeman or Thad.  The guy has a Phd. I hope BIL is using an ATM occasionally.  However he has lots of time to visit a bank if he wishes.