Alex Murdaugh

Airehead

Guilty of a lot of things. I'm about 99% sure that he killed his wife and son Paul. There's a slight possibility that one of the many people who he stole money killed them or someone went after the son Paul. 

I first heard about him in an episode of American Greed on TV a few months ago. There was also a maid who died on his property in mysterious circumstances. Plus, he got his son Paul off what would have been a manslaughter charge for less lawyered-up people from a drunken boating accident a few years before where a woman died.

• Sad 1

I've been following the trial, but not all the detailed evidence about timelines/GPS/phone data.  My initial thought is he either did it or was involved somehow.  The HBO special was interesting background.  I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen that one.  At some level it really doesn't matter if he gets convicted on this charge, because he's facing over 90 other criminal charges, many of which he's already confessed to doing. 

However, while I dislike his lawyer's "Matlock" style, the prosecutors annoy me more.  If I were on the jury, that shouldn't impact my decision at all, bu I wonder if the jurors find them boring and repetitive. I haven't followed the testimony closely enough to determine if they're doing a good job or not.

But the whole story has a grand, Greek Tragedy vibe in addition to colorful characters and storylines of fraud, drugs, deception, family dynamics, privilege, abuse of power etc.  No wonder John Grisham was in the courtroom audience this week.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've been following the trial, but not all the detailed evidence about timelines/GPS/phone data.  My initial thought is he either did it or was involved somehow.  The HBO special was interesting background.  I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen that one.  At some level it really doesn't matter if he gets convicted on this charge, because he's facing over 90 other criminal charges, many of which he's already confessed to doing. 

But the whole story has a grand, Greek Tragedy vibe in addition to colorful characters and storylines of fraud, drugs, deception, family dynamics, privilege, abuse of power etc.  No wonder John Grisham was in the courtroom audience this week.

My first thought, before all the stolen money shit came out, was that Ms Beach’s father knew a guy …

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Are

you

following the trial?  Is he innocent or guilty?

No.

Not knowing all (or many) of the facts, I'm not sure.    Just reading a some stuff on the internet...  I'd say yes.

Will he get convicted?   This may affect the outcome.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

he can afford expensive lawyers. 

I'm not betting the farm on a guilty verdict.   

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I wasn't really paying attention but this week my wife had some of the testimony on TV.

My first thought was, he must be in really tough shape to be on the stand freely admitting to so much lying and stealing. 

Admitting smaller lies to make the bigger one more believable.

Pick One:

• A psychopath doesn’t have a conscience. If he lies to you so he can steal your money, he won’t feel any moral qualms, though he may pretend to. He may observe others and then act the way they do so he’s not “found out,” Tompkins says.

• A sociopath typically has a conscience, but it’s weak. They may know that taking your money is wrong, and they might feel some guilt or remorse, but that won’t stop their behavior.

• Heart 2