Who Is The Audience For This One?

Razors Edge

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Even back as a kid, I always thought it seemed an "old fashioned" comic. Like the unreadable Dick Tracy or those weird soap opera ones, this always seemed out of place.

Does it resonate with you? Do you read it? How do you think it stays in syndication?

ac199a609290013be66e005056a9545d

Read it maybe 60 years ago.  (est)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's 2023, so I'm wondering what's changed in 55 years?

No one gets newspapers regularly anymore except those resistant to change.  Whatever was left at the bitter end of the newspaper era has a chance to persist in perpetuity, or at least until folks our age fall into the volcano.  The funny pages are gasping, so why not Andy Capp?  People with dementia can glom onto the simple situations of Andy Capp without needing an overthink or two, so it lives on.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You had to be there to sample the alternative entertainment.

But I was there at the time, even before cable tv, answering machines, or vcr's!   

Family Circus never had a reason to exist, either, not that I could see.  Well, except for the Nietzsche Family Circus, that is, here is a couple quick examples:

image.png.68dae81021225b083dcddf2fc8fb9ff6.png

image.png.4aa16a36c39680ec02151018473c2ede.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 12:06 PM, Randomguy said:

Growing up, I wondered how Dick Tracy was ever a thing.  I still wonder why it was ever a thing.

I liked Dick Tracy.  He had incredible things like a watch you could use like a phone and in the Sunday comic strip, there was a "Crimestopper's Textbook" mini-page you could cut and save.

When I approached my teenage years, he began to be a little behind the times or wandering too far from the standard stuff with the Moon Maiden, etc.

• Heart 1