I'm afraid to drive anywhere

Scrapr

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I pay an extra $100 a month just so nobody knows how i drive.

I think this is going to be the way all insurance companies will go, eventually.  Just like car manufacturers are changing by moving options like heated seats into subscriptions, insurance companies will move toward  two tiers of rates: one where they have a digital tracing of driving habits, and another (higher) rate for those who haven't yet plugged in.

27 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

and another (higher) rate for those who haven't yet plugged in.

Or even higher rates for many who do plug in and drive like it's a race.  

My OBD2 port will remain open, except for the rare times I will use my now vintage Garmin Mechanic with ecoRoute that connects to my old Garmin Nuvi 1490 via bluetooth.  

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Scrapr said:

My score only has one way to go. I'm #1 on my insurance company driving app.. It measures braking events, speeding, phone use to give an overall score. Several weeks ago I went to Ptown. There is a stretch of freeway the is 50 mph limit.  Traffic typically goes 60 in there. I did too so my score dropped a bunch. I was maybe 180 or so out of about 850.. I've been climbing the ladder since. The trip to Bend & back helped because the road was packed snow so we slowed. I did get dinged for speeding Saturday going to a baseball game in Corvallis. But must not have been too bad, 

I'd like to thank the Academy

*my projected discount for being top o the class is 0%. Tough beans for me

Congratulations!

Personally, we have roads that should have 65 mph limits that are 55 and almost everyone goes 65-70.  If a police car is seen, the traffic drops to about 60 and no one gets pulled over.  I usually go 65 on them.

13 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Dang! God bless you! I pay an extra $100 a month just so nobody knows how i drive. It’s really nobody’s bidness. 

Well, so you're not explicitly piping your driving stats to the insurance company.

FWIW, "they" - the evil they - know how you drive, where you drive, when you drive, where you are going, where you went, what you did, what you bought, who you met, etc..

But not because you gave that to them so easily.

50 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

how's it measure this?

Movement of the phone. I have a magnetic mount on my windshield. Just pop it on there. I think I can pull over and stop and use it. Directions and music. That doesnt seem to trigger it

The app is all phone based. No OB2 connection.   I have used a couple uber and that kills my score. But there is a setting to change if you are a passenger. So I do that. Of course a lesser man would use that to take out the bat outta hell scores

I stream Spotify and that doesn't trigger event. It's all movement based. I can take my phone off the mount and quickly change a setting(music, traffic)

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ralphie said:

But why did you get stiffed?  

The app says my projected discount is 0%. And I'm best of the best! #1 Top of the class. 

I've only been on for about 3 months so they may be taking the longer view. I saved a boatload by changing companies. I had been with the other company literally for decades. And I'm sure they took advantage of my loyalty by raising prices