Who else has tinnitus?

SuzieQ

I have a good friend who is a professor at the University of Texas at Dallas.  He is doing a study on neural plasticity and tinnnitus.   

I can ask him about causes and known cures.  

Here is more information about his clnical trials.

http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2013/11/21-27531_Clinical-Trial-Brings-Positive-Results-for-Tinnitu-_story-wide.html

http://www.utdallas.edu/~sxv140030/clinical_trial/

I have a good friend who is a professor at the University of Texas at Dallas.  He is doing a study on neural plasticity and tinnnitus.   

I can ask him about causes and known cures.  

Here is more information about his clnical trials.

http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2013/11/21-27531_Clinical-Trial-Brings-Positive-Results-for-Tinnitu-_story-wide.html

http://www.utdallas.edu/~sxv140030/clinical_trial/

Thank you this is really interesting!  A doctor in South Africa told me that it was from my ears always having water in them because I swam every day - I believed him then, but not sure it I believe that now.

• Heart 1

Thank you this is really interesting!  A doctor in South Africa told me that it was from my ears always having water in them because I swam every day - I believed him then, but not sure it I believe that now.

Dr. Kilgard is a great guy and is Ryan's scout leader.  I can probably get you in touch with him if you would like.  I can ask.  

• Heart 1

I have had it for several years.  It has been worse the past 3-4 years.  I would say the ringing is almost constant (at least 90% of the time), but it does seem louder at some times.  Fortunately it does not keep me from doing anything, and doesnt keep me from getting sleep.  There are sounds of a certain pitch that I cannot hear. 

A few years ago my wife was watching Dr Oz (and I was paying no attention to it....).  He had a segment on tinnitus.  He played a sound to demonstrate it to the audience.  My wife asked me if that was what it was like.  I could not hear it.

I have heard there is nothing you can do.

I have had it for several years.  It has been worse the past 3-4 years.  I would say the ringing is almost constant (at least 90% of the time), but it does seem louder at some times.  Fortunately it does not keep me from doing anything, and doesnt keep me from getting sleep.  There are sounds of a certain pitch that I cannot hear. 

A few years ago my wife was watching Dr Oz (and I was paying no attention to it....).  He had a segment on tinnitus.  He played a sound to demonstrate it to the audience.  My wife asked me if that was what it was like.  I could not hear it.

I have heard there is nothing you can do.

I have also lost the ability to hear high pitch sound - this was determined by the time I was 35 or so.  My kids would always hear the bats at night when we were sitting outside and I never could.  

In the summer when I was riding with a friend he exclaiming about the sound of the cicadas - I started laughing, because that's what I hear every day :)

I have also lost the ability to hear high pitch sound - this was determined by the time I was 35 or so.  My kids would always hear the bats at night when we were sitting outside and I never could.  

In the summer when I was riding with a friend he exclaiming about the sound of the cicadas - I started laughing, because that's what I hear every day :)

there is at least one rider in our club that has it as well.  If there are a lot of people in a room, and the acoustics are such that it is noisy, I am lucky if I can make out half of the conversation.....every other word

I have had it for over 20 years.  A nice steady tone, probably the same key as the 'Free Bird' guitar solo; years ago I put my head between two big speakers and cranked it up to 10 to get the full effect.  AWAF.  :whistle:

What's weird is that once in a great while it will all of a sudden stop, and it gets real quiet, and I think I've lost my hearing, but I hear fine.  Then a few minutes later it will start back up.