Got Me Thinking (Again!) About The Good Old Days!

Razors Edge

...and the realization that all but a handful of us here were alive for this little nugget:

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

It's an interesting thought to consider a world where that not only existed but existed with both great support and is (to an oddly scary degree) no longer truly "settled" in 2023.  :dontknow:

One has to wonder how centuries of rules, restrictions, and outright evil (OMG :frantics:) have an impact on society - especially when the same folks from that society are still around. 

Were you alive in June 1967?

I saw the movie. And yes, it is good. And really the whole point is their love in the end, is ordinary and great like many other happy couples.

I was not aware of this court case until the movie first came out,  but was aware interracial marriages were illegal in various jursidictions, or there was a loss in legal status for 1 of the partners.  

June of 1967 I was living in Southern California. Just turned 8 years old. The Six Day war ends on the 10th. Israel captures land from Egypt, Syria, and Jordan, effectively doubling its area.

Beatles release Sgt Peppe Lonely Hearts Club Band

The film, the Dirty Dozen is released.

China becomes the world’s 4th thermonuclear power by detonating a hydrogen bomb. 

And, the world’s first ATM is installed in London. 

And "funny" in the sense that there still has not been a US President born in the era after marriage between races was the legal law of the land!

Sort of a Jimmy Carter moment.  FTR, Ron Desantis and Pete Buttigieg are born after that time, but not Kamala Harris (not sure if her parents would have been allowed to marry in VA as both were minorities - so maybe yes???).

I was anxiously awaiting being a “big kid” and starting Kindergarten. I don’t have a lot of news of the time memories until a couple years later. I do remember the first time racism really struck me. 
Our little town had an injection molding facility. We would sometimes sneak across the highway and railroad tracks to see what was in the pile of scraps they tossed out. Mostly it was stuff not interesting to kids, but once in a while they would parts for toys. 
One day I stumbled upon a plastic figure that was every racist stereotype for appearance you could think of for a black person. I had seen similar drawings before. Heck, we saw the Tarzan movies with the terrible natives at the Grand Theater on Saturdays! But for some reason, holding that 3D figure really bothered me. I was about 9 or 10 I would guess. It was a slow progression but that was the beginning of trying to not be a racist child. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...and the realization that all but a handful of us here were alive for this little nugget:

It's an interesting thought to consider a world where that not only existed but existed with both great support and is (to an oddly scary degree) no longer truly "settled" in 2023.  :dontknow:

One has to wonder how centuries of rules, restrictions, and outright evil (OMG :frantics:) have an impact on society - especially when the same folks from that society are still around. 

In June of 1967 I was stationed in Key West FL but in another few months I would be moving to Norfolk VA where I would become aware of laws and attitudes like this.  Of course in Norfolk the other standard involved signs placed strategically that said "Dogs and sailors stay off the grass".

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yes and as you age, you will see for yourself how irrelevant you are to the young parts of society.  This is why i maintain, we really shouldn’t live beyond 80. 

I sort of remember. I was 11. Watching the movie was a good reminder of the old days

Watching 1923 last night. Spin off of Yellowstone (Helen Mirren & Harry Ford) the sheriff dragged out the Asian wife of one of the cowboys. No intermarriage of Black, Japanese  Chinese & white. Miscegenerationis what they called it.Native Americans were included in draft bill from a previous session but several legislators had native american wives so the sponsor took out that phrase.  I had never heard of that term so looked it up

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes and as you age, you will see for yourself how irrelevant you are to the young parts of society.  This is why i maintain, we really shouldn’t live beyond 80. 

I don't care what the young people think.  I'm hoping to last well past 80

If for no other reason than irritating the shit out of them.

• Awesome 1

I remember when certain states had laws against interracial marriage, but it was only applied if one of the partners was Black.  Whites, Asians, Native Americans, etc. were all fine.

Note that some unfair things are popular when they're "politically correct."

For example, my ancestors first came to this country and fought in the Civil War for the Union.  That ancestor later lost two fingers from each hand working the railroads - there was no compensation back then.  On my mother's side, my grandfather and my grandmother's parents escaped the brutality of the Russian occupation of Poland.  My grandfather was educated and spoke 6 languages.  That got him a job working in the coal mines in America.

My American ancestors worked for low pay on the railroads, in mines, etc.  My father lost half his left hand in WW2 with very-low % disability given, and two uncles also were injured in WW2.  But I couldn't get a hardship college scholarship that minority friends of mine whose parents had higher incomes got because I was White.

But now, MY tax dollars, not the money's of still-wealthy families of former slaveholders, will be used to pay for reparations for slavery in Maryland if a bill for it is passed by the State Legislature and signed by the Governor!

Where are MY reparations?