The story of why I work where I do

Mr. Silly

I had just got out of county prison, doing 90 days for non-support.  I tried to find me an executive position but no matter how smooth I talked they wouldn't listen to the fact that I'm a genius, they said 'we got all that we can use'.  I should be sitting in an air conditioned office with a swivel chair, talking some trash to a secretary saying, "hey mama, come on over here".  Instead I am stuck here scrubbing he fender with a rag and walking home in soggy old shoes.  A man of my abilities should be smoking a big cigar.  Until I get myself straight, I guess I'll just have to wait in my rubber suit rubbing his car.  All I can do is shake my head and you might not believe that it true that working at the end of Niagara Falls is an undiscovered Howard Hughes.  Don't expect to see me with a double martini in the high brow society news because I've got the Saturday depressing, low down, mind messing, working at the car wash blues.

The End. 

I worked in a car wash in 1966 just before Easter.  It was a hand wash car wash with the cars pulled through on a chain.  You had to keep up with the speed of the chain.  I wondered why they were paying $2.00 an hour to work at a car wash but by the end of a ten hour day with only one ten minute break I figured it out.  I suppose if they had a slow day it might have been ok.

I used to work at a movie house.  I worked the popcorn counter. 

I worked at a drive-in theater. Sold popcorn, candy, pizza, drinks, and tickets. Also cleaned up the lot during the day and patrolled it for people sneaking in at night. Even ran the projector a few times.

Not a bad job for a 17 YO kid considering they were showing R and X-rated movies!