How are you set up for the upcoming apocalypse?

Randomguy

I just read another couple "EMP's destroyed the grid" books.  The one factor that leads to survival in these scenarios is gun ownership.  The greater the firepower you have, the greater likelihood of survival.

and when you run out of ammo what are you going to do? 

I have a bow and a lot of arrows, I can reuse my arrows... plus my gun is only for backup. 

I just read another couple "EMP's destroyed the grid" books.  The one factor that leads to survival in these scenarios is gun ownership.  The greater the firepower you have, the greater likelihood of survival.

Oh, the ability to kill quickly seems to be important, too.  Society breaks down awfully fast in these books.

as it will breakdown in Real life also... people in the city will try to get everything they can to survive for a few day, and by the time they are ready to spread out towards the outer city, I will have already been gone with my kids and family. 

The one thing I have learnt in the survival classes is, only carry what you truly need. anything else is just a waste and will get you killed.

to get by for a few days you will only need a few items:

Shelter

Water 

high carb food ( the higher the carb, the less of it your have to carry) There are a lot of things that grow in nature you can eat that you never thought about before.

transportation (go away from the masses of people.. )

Just remember the rules of three

three minutes without air

three hours without shelter

three days without water

three weeks without food

to get by for a few days you will only need a few items:

Shelter

Water 

high carb food ( the higher the carb, the less of it your have to carry) There are a lot of things that grow in nature you can eat that you never thought about before.

transportation (go away from the masses of people.. )

Just remember the rules of three

three minutes without air

three hours without shelter

three days without water

three weeks without food

Do you have an EMP-proof vehicle (other than a bicycle, which I am not sure any of us other than DH and SW and the gate-damaged bike that RR has/have)?  

My bikes can travel in the bush.  This will help avoid being seen on the road.  You roadies are screwed.  

<couldn't help but get a dig at roadies>  HAHA   ;)

Don't come bitching to us when you are being chased down by Mr Mooseknuckel. :)
  • Heart 2

What's wrong traveling by bike?
Does a soon to have 1960 valient count since it has no electronics on it

That counts when you get it.  Other people are wimps when it comes to bike travel, I have found.  "Oh, I am tired, we have ridden almost 5 whole miles!"    I don't think RB can pedal very much yet.

So what is the best gun for a survival situation?  It must be idiot-proof, ultra-reliable, easy to find ammo, have the ability to fit with a night-vision scope and a suppressor, be light and deadly.

Sub auto BB gun

shoots at 450 feet pet second, very quiet, up to 800 rounds a min, can be fitted with a scope and laser 

• Heart 1

Some of the really nice pellet rifles shoot at 1000 ft per second.  That would mess someone up, if the pellet was placed properly.

That is true. I honestly was looking for a gun like that for squirrel and rabbit hunting up north... 

I know how to load shotgun shells.  However, the supplies may be troublesome to obtain in a post apocalyptic scenario.

Hence the reason I like to hunt with a Bow and arrow... I have been collecting new arrows every year, have about 60 or so by now.. 

I will not run out of ammo, plus an arrow does not give away my position of hiding like a shot of a gun :)

• Heart 1

The pellets, bb's and such would be nice for small game, but fail in the deterrence effect needed to dissuade well-armed takers of your stuff.

A BB can persuade someone not to take something if they are shot in the right place!

What is that?

All terrane motorcycle.

They are F'ing awesome! 

The pellets, bb's and such would be nice for small game, but fail in the deterrence effect needed to dissuade well-armed takers of your stuff.

With a good break barrel air rifle,  you can insert pellets, pebbles, BBs or darts dipped in what ever nasty stuff you like!

Maybe, but maybe you don't shoot them in the right place.  What real gun or guns would be ideal when you need to put someone down with one shot?

I would go with a 50cal sniper rifle for distance, and a 45cal for 20/30 yards, and maybe a 9mm or machete for confined space