Who else uses ginger for palate cleansing?

Dirtyhip

I keep a jar of pickled ginger in my fridge.  It is very helpful, when you cook several different dishes in a day.  When tasting and making new recipes, my palate gets mucked up.  After a piece of ginger, I am right as rain to taste again.

:D

Cooking is so awesome.  I just love doing it.  

• Heart 1

I couldn't believe one time at a Chinese restaurant how hot it can make a dish. :)

I am going to give a try at growing some in my sunroom.  I need to find some Hawaiian ginger.  I have a trip coming up and I plan to do some food shopping at my destination.  They should have lots of items from Asia and some other hard to find ingredients.

Did you know that the older ginger is much spicier?  If you can find the young stuff at the store, the flavor is much softer.  Most grocers carry the older stuff.  It stores very well with that hard skin.  The tough skin ginger is hot and spicy.

I never thought of it for cleansing, it has such a strong flavor.  Does it get the toothpaste taste out?

It kills all flavors from your tongue.    

I taste a lot when I cook.  When I cook with peppers I even take a tiny taste of a minced chunk.  Peppers can vary so much, I need to know how hot they are for certain dishes.  If I add spices, I will taste them if they have sat for a while.  I recently had to toss some old turmeric.  It went dull on me.

Cooking is too hard.  Too much science, and worse, art.  I can cook a few things, and that's it.  If it weren't for my wifes love of cooking I'd eat cereal every meal.

l am not great at grilling.  It is my weakness.  We bought a new grill and I hope to get much better at it.  I finally have a grill that I can light.  Our old one was a terrifying fire hazard.   :D

Love ginger, but had no idea it was a palate cleanser

This is why they serve it at sushi places.  It is so you can cleanse your palate between different flavors of fish.

Sorbet can act as a taste cleanser too.  Citrus foods can also work.  I have served lemon sorbet between courses before for my fancier dinner parties.

I don't understand grilling, most food tastes better (and moister) not-grilled.

moist food can be obtained if you follow some key steps:

• rest your meat before you toss it on the grill.  Cold meat should never be tossed over heat.  Let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour.  Also, rest it again, after you pull it off. If you slice into that meat it will drain out all the lovely juices.
  • Make sure your grill is hot enough.  You want meat to cook quickly to sear in that juice.

My problem with grilling is that I am bad at knowing when it is perfectly medium rare.  I hate overcooking meat.  It is a travesty to overcook.

What makes you sad, that I like my meat cooked, or that I can't type or form correct sentences?

I am just teasing.  I used to have a saying that there is a certain section in hell for people that overcook nice meat.  ;)

I shudder at the thought of a well done piece of NY strip steak.  HAHA