What if all of the Policemen went on strike?

Road Runner

The apocalypse thread made me think of something I have contemplated before.  Now with all of the people protesting the police and policemen being assassinated, the old saying about the thin blue line crosses my mind again.

We have all seen what happens in instances like Ferguson and many other places around the country when order breaks down.  Suppose the police went on strike, walked off their jobs?  Not likely, I know, but it is hard to imagine this country without the police to maintain order.

They could call out the National Guard, but the assets are far too few when spread out over the whole country.

I'm afraid society would completely break down.

The apocalypse thread made me think of something I have contemplated before.  Now with all of the people protesting the police and policemen being assassinated, the old saying about the thin blue line crosses my mind again.

We have all seen what happens in instances like Ferguson and many other places around the country when order breaks down.  Suppose the police went on strike, walked off their jobs?  Not likely, I know, but it is hard to imagine this country without the police to maintain order.

They could call out the National Guard, but the assets are far too few when spread out over the whole country.

All society needs to break down is one stupid person doing something in an angry mob.. Everyone follows and chaos starts.

The portion of society that thought they could do whatever they wanted - and not get caught - certainly would start doing just that.  Only I don't think they would stop at burning cars and looting stores.

Another portion of society would keep their heads down and mind their own business until the troubles ended or at least subsided.  They would neither oppose those doing wrong nor help their victims.

Another smaller portion of society would step up to defend and protect the weak and the innocents, but unfortunately their numbers would not be enough to contain the havoc and crimes perpetrated by people breaking the laws.

What if all of the Policemen went on strike?

I wouldn't blame them if they did. I sometimes work in some seriously crappy neighborhoods. You know its a bad neighborhood when the cops pull up and ask how long I'm going to be working there by myself and park in a location where they can keep an eye on me and the surrounding area, just in case. At times like that, theres nothing more beautiful than a Chevy taHoe with Chicago Police printed across the side.